[RQ] Replacement? - Part 3

Start from the beginning

A bitter laugh came from her throat as the final tick was just about to arrive.

"Love you."

Then, that part of the building was blown up. Jason screamed, trying to struggle out of Bruce's grip.

"(Y/N)!"

Bruce's eyes widened, but he didn't have time to process that his daughter was in danger before the force of the explosion sent them flying backwards, Jason now free of Bruce's grasp.

When the smoke cleared, Bruce rushed to sift through all the debris. In the distance, he saw his guilty son holding his innocent daughter.

"Get off of her!" he cried, rushing over and ripping the girl out of the young man's grasp. He gently lay her on the floor, then checked her pulse.

"She's still here. Fading, but here," Bruce sighed in relief, then called Alfred through his communicator, "(Y/N)'s in danger. Get the hospital beds ready."

Ignoring Jason's guilt ridden facial expression, he scolded him.

"You need to leave. Now."

"Bruce, wait, I...I wanna help."

"Help? Help? You've done enough already!" the man shouted.

"I'm sorry!" he exploded, "I know that isn't enough, but B, I have to make this up to her in some way. She was just a normal child, and not to mention, in all technicality, my sister. I was supposed to be there for her, but instead, I'm the one who hurt her the most. I have to help her."

Bruce considered this plea for a moment, but his parental defense took over, "So what? You're just good all of the sudden?"

"I don't know! No! Yes? Listen, I still want to clean up Gotham my way. But that doesn't mean I don't have a heart! This kid's gonna wake up with a good chance of memory loss from the trauma her head endured. Same happened with me when I first woke up from the Lazarus pit. I remembered, but it took me a real long time, and went ballistic before I did. I can help you jog her memory and bring her back, or at least, how ever much we can bring back."

There was a long, long pause before a Bruce responded. Jason thought it was at least a minute or so.

"Fine. But if she wakes up completely normal, you will leave her alone and never come near her again. Do you understand?"

The younger nodded. Dick swung in shortly after.

"B, I heard an explosion. Is everything—oh my god!"

The brother stared at his baby sister, bloodied and bruised; he couldn't tell where one injury stopped and another began.

He spoke cautiously, "Is she...?"

"She's alive, but she's hanging on by a thread. I'm going back to the cave to get her help. Alfred is already prepared."

With that, Bruce was off. Jason only got to watch him for a few short moments before his body was pushed up against a wall by his neck. He coughed as Dick tightened his grip.

"What the hell did you do?" he yelled, "What did you do to my sister?"

"I thought," the other inhaled, "I thought she was a threat. I didn't know. I'm s—"

He wheezed, and Dick let him fall to the floor. The elder of the two kicked his brother in the stomach.

"'Sorry' isn't going to cut it this time, Jason! Why? How could you do this?"

Jason stood, and a punch was thrown at him.

"She was innocent! She was just a little girl!" another punch, "My baby sister might be gone because of you!" a crack, and now his nose was bleeding, "She was only thirteen! She never even got to—" there was not punch this time, only a choked up Dick, "Got to—"

Finally, Dick's body caught up with him and he fell to the floor. His mental exhaustion was a part of what caused his knees to give out, but it was also the fact that his sprained ankle wasn't fully healed yet. He figured that a sprained ankle doesn't really matter when your sibling is dying though, does it?

Jason followed Dick to the floor and sat with him silently, unsure of what to say. He watched the man who was once his idol completely shatter, and at his own hands, no less.

"Why, Jay?" he asked, tears running down his face, "I can understand the criminals, the bastards, hell, even the killings. But why (Y/N)? Why our sister? We were supposed to be a family. You could've just talked to us, said something, anything! We care about you, Jason. Not a day goes by that we don't. When you first left us, I listened to the old voicemails you sent every goddamn day. I know you're angry, but we tried to save you; we couldn't then, but we can now. Just, let us help—stop all of this—come home. Let us..."

The hood put a hand on his shoulder, "Life ain't always that easy, Dick. It's not just black and white. Going back, it's hard; things are just different now."

Dick was silent for a moment as he stared at the young man in front of him. Suddenly, he lunged forward, and Jason backed up; however, to his surprise, it wasn't a punch. It was a hug.

"We can try. You're back, Jason, and I won't lose you again. Especially now that we might lose (Y/N). I won't lose another sibling ever again."

Jason was tense, but he softened at his brother's words. Giving him a haphazard hug back, he spoke up once more.

"I'm coming home. I already told Bruce I'd help (Y/N). It's the least I can do. After that, I don't know if I'll stay or not. But I can promise you, and only you, that you won't lose me again. We're brothers."

"Guess 'things are just different' for us then, huh?" Dick joked, holding onto Jason tightly.

"Don't mock me, Dickhead."

He laughed, "You're an ass."

Dick tried to hop up, but hissed in pain at the pressure on his ankle. Jason caught him.

"I got you, bro," he spoke stoically.

"Thanks," he smiled, then continued.

"Let's go to the cave, now. We've got a sister to save."