two | the regiments

"say eren, is there anyone from your training group who wants to join the scouts?" (y/n) asked curiously, looking at the green cloaked boy from their seat on top of a wooden crate. they took a bite out of a red apple, moving their legs to sit criss cross (which caused a horrible squeaking noise from their boots, but everyone chose to collectively ignore it). the brown haired teenager turned around to look at the doctor, "there is!" he started with excitement, however it soon died down because of a realisation that he could literally turn into a titan.

"there was- but i'm not exactly sure how they feel about it anymore," eren explained, his emerald eyes dropping to stare at the ground with an unhappy look on his face. the (h/c) haired doctor let out a small hum of understanding before taking another bite of the apple, "ah i know what you mean," they stated soon after they finished chewing, a reassuring smile on her lips, "you can only hope that someone will, can't you?"

suddenly, levi arrived, causing the four to immediately salute. "make ready at once! we're going on patrol!" he ordered, causing eld and gunther to nod before hurrying off to go prepare the horses. (y/n) followed behind them seconds later, honestly they were quite hesitant to leave eren alone with the captain even though they knew he would be safe with the short man. "listen, eren. don't fall more than two lengths behind," the captain stated, looking directly into the teenager's eyes. "you're only allowed to wander around because i'm here to watch you."

| | |

the (h/c) haired doctor had zoned out throughout most of erwin's speech, only coming back to the present when eren tugged on the sleeve of their scouts jacket, doing his best to signal that they needed to leave. "doctor y/n, we're leaving now," the boy stated, which seemed to fully lull them out of whatever trance they were caught up in. "ehh? already? i swear the speech only just began," (y/n) mumbled in confusion but nodded along with it anyway, quickly following behind the caped boy so they could leave the stage area.

"you zoned out for the most of it," gunther explained with a nervous laugh as the two had caught up to him, "poor eren over here thought you had fell asleep standing up or something, should've seen him - it was hilarious." a pair of green eyes widened, a heavy blush forming on his cheeks, "it wasn't that funny!" he shrieked in embarrassment as he got a heavy handed pat on the back. the (h/c-ette; brunette, ravenette, ect) let out a giggle, leaning over to eren to pinch his cheek, "it's adorable that you worried about me!"

| | |

"our special operations squad will be positioned here on standby in the rear of the centre rank," gunther explained to the members of the special operations squad, relaying the information that captain levi had given him. he pointed out the spot near the end of the diagram, showing where they would be in the formation for that day's mission. "that would be the safest position in the formation," (y/n) questioned curiously with a tilted head, "not even the supply wagons get that level of treatment so why are we?"

gunther simply shrugged his shoulders, his fingers twirled a small stick between them. "our goal is to simply leave and come back so our positions in the formation this time around just aren't so important," the brunette answered, but it almost sounded like he wasn't sure about what he had said. was there something else going on behind the scenes? what weren't they being told? "this is practically a test run to see if we can make it to shiganshina or not, so we're not meant to expect any action."

"it's entirely possible this mission has an opposite goal, but the commander decided it doesn't need to be explained to the soldiers," gunther added hesitantly, changing the position of how he sat so he was in some sort of crouch before standing up, "if that's the case, leaving and coming back is all we should focus on. even if we have questions to ask." the black haired man went to turn around and walk away before adding something else, "just have faith in the commander."

| | |

authors note

hello again everyone ✨

sorry it took me so long to get this chapter out, especially since it's really short too :(

i have no idea how to actually piece together the timeline whilst using both the anime and manga, so i'm kinda struggling. if you see events that didn't happen in future chapters, it's most likely because i needed to fill a gap or i simply felt like adding it in.

forgive me for such a short chapter, the next one will be at least 1,000 words long. i promise that :>

- bay 🌾