Chapter 3: Petrichor

Thunder rumbled in the now pitch black sky, the light of the moon engulfed by a slew of thick clouds, crackling with energy. The lab was briefly illuminated by a flash of lightning, before gradually dimming once more. A veil of mist shrouded the windows of the lab, nothing but reflections from within were visible.

Max did not move, remaining unwavered, the helmet held tightly against his chest.

"Come again?" Eli retorted, eyes fixed on the helmet thingy. His hands twitched, aching to tear the metallic shell from Max's grasps as his head throbbed, memories sloshing carelessly within his mind. It was getting worse with every passing moment and so was Eli's desperation. Whether the Helmet be a definite solution or not, there was really no other option. Eli shakily took a step forward.

"No." Max repeated more harshly, his tone calculating.

"Yeah, you keep saying that. Is it not ready or something?" Eli inquired.

It could've been Eli's imagination but he could have sworn Max's eyes had briefly held a dim crimson glow, though as he blinked they had returned to their normal shade of caramel.

"It has occurred to me that it may still be unsafe to, erm, continue with this experiment. You understand, yes?" Max brushed past Eli as another flash of lightning illuminated the room.

Eli grasped his arm, stopping him. "Why? Just a few hours ago you insisted it was ready, heck, you were even berating me for being absent this morning. Now you tell me it isn't safe? No, I don't buy it."

Anger flashed across Max's features as he pulled his shoulder from Eli's grasp. "Listen close Eli, what I do and what I continue to do will always be in your best interest. Try and accept that. The Helmet is not ready until I inform you otherwise, and that is all. You may leave, help me pack if you please."

Eli tensed, unsure of himself all of a sudden, before standing his ground once more. Max was lying, something had happened. He was never one to back down from anything, despite the risks that were present. There was a time he had accidentally constructed an explosive which he had inadvertently set off in Algebra class, ten seconds on its timer, before it would obliterate the entire classroom that he and Eli were in. As the lecturer continued to ramble theorems and functions, Eli tried his best to remain calm whilst Max disassembled the bomb. He had put all his trust into him, ten seconds to disarm a complex mix match of wires and encryptions, and he did. Under his desk outside of anyone's view. After the fact, Max had begun to laugh deliriously, while Eli struggled to hold back a stream of tears. God knows why the maniac was carrying around a bomb to begin with. That was who Max was. A mad scientist who ignored his limits, not this. Not someone who would back down from minor technical difficulties. Then it struck Eli. Realization setting in.

Eli observed the Helmet and the wires protruding from it. Its power supply was activated, humming with electricity, warmth emanating from the Helmet, despite not being anywhere near him. Max had placed it back on to the table as he began to throw appliances into various cardboard boxes. Eli approached the Helmet. A plethora of LED indicators were glowing bright red on the surface of the helmet, occasionally flickering off before coming on again. It was powered. Now why would Max power the Helmet if he had no intention of using it, how would he know the risks without a proper subject to run a test on. A fleeting moment, filled with dread crossed upon Eli's thoughts, shivers crackling throughout his body as he struggled to move.

"Max..." Eli muttered, his tone barely a whisper.

Max's head perked up ever so slightly as he slowly paused, dropping a wrench into one to the boxes in front of him.