Is it similar to the reasons Ah Xian dropped everything and ran here at first notice of Lan Zhan's sickness?

Is it similar to the reasons Ah Xian still thinks of Lan Zhan in his dreams, during twilight hours, at the most random moments of the day? The expression, the jawline, the eyes, the frown... they appear in Ah Xian's hindsight without him even realising.

Lan Zhan.

Ah Xian closes his eyes. He hasn't seen that face in so, so long.

•••

"Advisor Zewu Jun!" Xichen looks up from his books as one of the security guards bows to him. "Advisor. I request the whereabouts of His Excellency, Chief Cultivator Hanguang Jun. He said to come directly to him if there was word about the two missing juniors, Lan Sizhui and Lan Jingyi, or the Yiling Patriach Wei Wuxian."

Xichen puts down his book, curiosity rousing, "What's the word?"

"Well—all three of them have entered Cloud Recesses, Advisor. Lan Sizhui, Lan Jingyi and Wei Wuxian."

Xichen's eyes widen.

He stands up so abruptly he almost loses composure. Clenching his teeth, he scrambles to get ahold of his thoughts... all three of them? The juniors have been found, finally. But—Wei Wuxian?

He's here so soon?

"Advisor. I request the whereabouts of His Excellency, Chief Cultivator Hanguang Jun so I may relay the news."

"He went to Back Mountain early this morning. Please find him and summon him here right now—but do not tell him about Master Wei."

"P-Pardon?"

"I repeat. Do not break the news to Wangji that Master Wei is here."

Xichen has to talk to that Wei Wuxian before Wangji sees him. Xichen has to make sure that the Lan Clan's intentions are very clear to Master Wei... Xichen has to remind Master Wei, once again—of everything that's at stake.

Xichen tightens his jaw.

"Tell His Excellency to meet me in the library. And I... I will take care of Master Wei."

•••

The sun is starting to peak over the top of bamboo trees, melting a warm glow into the sky. Wangji gazes up into the break of day, a gentle breeze sifting through his hair. He woke up in the middle of the night, torn out of his Wei Ying nightmare as usual. But this time, he didn't force himself to go back to sleep. He didn't bother playing his Qin. Actually, he came straight out here to Back Mountain. He has been here since midnight, his hands upon the soft fur of white bunnies—their unblinking, wonder-filled gazes calm Wangji better than any Song of Clarity.

"Your Excellency."

Wangji stiffens, removing his hand from a bunny.

"Your Excellency. Your presence is requested by Advisor Zewu Jun. I've been sent to tell you to meet him in the library."

"Is it urgent?"

The guard hesitates, "I... cannot answer, Your Excellency."

This perks Wangji's attention. He turns and stares suspiciously at the guard.