Week 2: Anyone can be a Victim (1797 words)

"Class, look at this," I showed them the picture that I was holding.

Chatters immediately filled the whole classroom. Theories and judgments were spitting out from their mouths.

"Sir, lalaki po ba 'yan?"

"Ang ganda naman niyan, sir! Pero bakit ang ikli ng buhok?"

"Chics! Sino 'yan, sir? Pakilala mo sa amin!"

"That looks gay..."

"Oh, my gosh, girls! Look at her eyes, oh! Ang ganda tapos ang haba ng eyelashes! I'm so envious!"

I smiled bitterly at their remarks. How could they judge the person in this photo just by looking at it? Well... that's what I expected.

"This person... is a man."

They gasped exaggeratedly. Shock was written all over their faces.

"How come, sir?! He's beautiful!" the IT girl of the class stated.

"Do you think that he- a man, can be a victim of rape?"

"No, not at all, sir!"

I looked at the one who answered. She is the class muse. With her long wavy hair, chinky eyes, small proud nose, and plump lips, men are flocking around her.

"I believe that rapes were done no one but men!" she continued.

I smirked at her. Disgust was slowly spreading in my system. She is beautiful, that will not be questioned, but an airhead.

I restrained myself to tell her that.

"How do you say so, Ms. Valerie?"

"Well obviously, sir, men can't contain their libido. Kaya nga't laganap po ang rape cases dito sa atin, hindi ba? At sino ang mga nababalitang gumagawa? Lalaki. Matanda o bata, lalaki. So hindi nila mararanasan ang rape, sir, dahil sila rin naman ang gumagawa nito."

She rolled her eyes but I ignored it. I chuckled but the bitterness I felt still lingered on my throat.

"Hindi dahil wala pang nababalita na ganoong case ay ibig sabihin na hindi pa iyon nangyayari. Those men who were a victim of rape were afraid to report it to the police. Kahit nga ipagsabi ito ay hindi nila makakayang gawin. Why? Because of shame. Judgments. Dahil walang maniniwala."

The class became quiet. Their gazes were directed on me while intently listening to what I am saying.

Now is our homeroom so I decided to tell them this.

"Who would believe them, anyway? No one. Not a single soul. Kasi nga lalaki. Kasi nga ang nasa isip ninyo ay ang mga lalaki ang nanggagahasa. Kasi nga... hindi patas ang tingin ninyo sa mga tao. Hindi lang mga babae ang nagiging biktima ng rape, class. Mayroon diyan... Hindi niyo lang alam."

I closed my eyes tightly. I showed the picture to them once again. I pointed the face of the person in the picture.

"Look at him. What's your first impression to him? Maganda hindi ba? Kahit lalaki siya ay ganoon ang naging tingin ninyo sa kaniya."

I roamed my gaze to each one of them.

"Let me tell you his story."

Someone raised his hand. "Kilala mo siya, sir?"

I swallowed the lump on my throat. I stared at the picture, and after a minute or so, I answered.

"Kilalang-kilala..."

"Are you alright... Sir?"

I smiled at the one who asked that. Memories of the past came rushing on my mind.