But then my best friend taught me about the woods and how to find food. We aren't really allowed in the woods around district 12. Buy Daniel does anyways. He takes me with him for food. He told me that he would bring fresh meat and other plants to my family with no cost. I couldn't let him do that. I didn't want to burden him with another family to feed.

My steps lead me past the Hob, our black market, and down a small ally. I round the the corner and reach an open area. There's a door on the right. In front of it, sitting on a bench, is my brother. His elbows are in his knees and his head is down. On a stool across from him and plucking a partridge sits my best friend, Daniel Everdeen.

When he hears my steps, Caerus looks up. As if he expected it, he stands and turns to Daniel. He mumbles something I can't hear and then walks towards me. Without making eye contact he mutters.

"Mom wants me?"

"Mhm. She didn't say why."

He walks past without another word. When I sigh and turn back to Daniel, he smiles and stands. Walking my way he wraps his arms around me.

"Tough morning?"

"He lost his temper." I sigh again

"I know. He came to tell me about it."

"Knew it. He always comes to you when he's upset."

"He just needs a dad figure." Daniel concludes.

We step away from each other and smile.

We've known each other for a while, Daniel and I. We met in school in the 3rd grade. We were both extremely quiet and didn't like socializing too much. But we sort of latched on to each other. Is trust him with my life and vice versa. There's nothing romantic between us and we always have to shut down rumors about the two of us. Especially when we would disappear for hours at a time. All that time would be spent in the woods

In order to support his family, Daniel learned to hunt. He took me with him generally all the time. Either when he felt lonely or when I felt like learning something about the woods. But other times we would just sit and talk.

Daniel sits back down and I take Caerus's seat. I reach into the basket at his feet and start to pluck a partridge.

"I waited a little for you before I headed to the woods."

"I'm sorry. I slept in. Juniper had to wake me up."

He simply nods and responds. "Reaping Day"

"Yeah. I couldn't sleep last night."

"Nerves?" he asks

"No. Not exactly. Not for myself. I'm nervous for Caerus."

"You know how loyal you are?" Daniel smiles.

"What do you mean?" I look up in surprise.

He pulls a tuft of feathers and they flutter down around him. "He's not necessarily kind to you."

I stare at him. "He's my brother Daniel. You expect me to be ok with him going into the Arena?"

"No. I don't expect that." He glances at me. "I just find it sweet."

I roll my eyes. "Goodness you like to torture me don't you."

"Yep." He pulls more feathers. Then, he says quietly "I would volunteer for him you know."

My hand slips and the partridge flops at my feet. Daniel looks up. "What? That comes as a surprise?"

"I, don't know. Maybe? You've just never said that before."

Another bunch of feathers drop to the ground. Daniel drops the partridges and reaches out for my bird. I hand it to him and stand.

"Are you ready for the rounds?" I stretch my arms. Daniel nods and hands me a bag.

Even if I didn't go into the woods with Daniel, I would still go around the town with him and sell what he harvested or hunted.

We didn't talk much during the rounds. Until town. His best sellers were the shop owners. Mostly the apocthary.

When we knocked on the door, the daughter of the owner opened the door. Even though it wasn't exactly noticeable, Daniel's body language changed.

"Hello." The blonde smiled at us. I wasn't particularly friends with her. But I had heard she was kind. And Daniel had his eye on her for a while, even if he wouldn't admit it.

"Hi." His voice was breathless. "How are you?"

"I'm good." She said softly, handing us a little bag filled with the money for two partridges and some herbs only found deep in the Forest. "A little nervous for reaping day. That's all."

Daniel nodded vigorously.

"Well, good luck." She smiled again and shut the door after taking the bags.

I smirked at Daniel. His eyes were wide and he was staring dreamily at the door.

"She's gone Daniel, it's ok. You can stop being all dreamy now."

He started and turned to glare at me. "I wasn't dreamy." He mumbled as we start to walk away

When we finally returned to his house, I waited outside as he changed into reaping clothes. When he came out, I examined the look that I did not often see.

He was wearing a coarse white shirt and rough brown pants. His dark brown hair that was usually mussy was brushed out of his eyes.

I grinned teasingly at him. "You clean up pretty well, don't you."

He rolled his eyes and wrapped his arm around my shoulder. "Wish I could say the same for you." He smirked.

"Hey!" I pushed his arm away and tried to hide my smile.

"Aw come on." He pulled me back to his side. "I'm joking El."

He accept his arm and he walked down the ally together. When we reach the street his arm dropped, but out shoulders were pressed together.

As the sign in desk at the entry to the square came into sight, I feelDaniel squeeze my hand. He leaned down and whispered.

"I'm going to see if I can find Gil. I'll find you in the crowd when I'm checked in."

I nodded and returned the squeeze. Then I got in line, heart thumping and my fear starting to get the better of me.

What's up! First chapter of my new Hunger Games Fanfic. Didn't like how the other one went, so I decided to make another one. I hope you like it:)
Comment, vote and follow! Thank you!
- thephoniex_ahsoka

"You can't die"