Chapter 1

"Estelle." A quiet voice whispered. "Estelle. Wake up." I groan as a small hand taps my arm. "El please wake up."

I roll over and groggily open my eyes. My sisters small face is in front of mine, her chin perched on the edge of my bed.

"What's wrong?" I mumble.

"Momma told me to wake you up. She said that you'd slept in enough." My little sister whispers.

I close my eyes and collapse further into my thin sheets. Juniper taps me again. "Estelle."

"Juniper I want to sleep more. I don't have school or work. Mom always lets us sleep late on Saturday."

"Estelle, it's the reaping today."

The reaping. My eyes reopen and my sister is so close I start. Her grey eyes blink at me.

"Momma was gonna wake you up early but I said you should sleep more. Caerus and I have been up for hours."

Damn it. Of course they would have been up a while. It's my younger brother Caerus 3rd reaping. His name is in the pool three times. I wouldn't let him take out teassre. He's terrified. It's my 6th reaping. My name is in eighteen times. Juniper is scared for both of us. How could either of them sleep. I stretch and hang my legs over the side of the bed. Juni plops down next to me and snuggles into my side, sucking her thumb.

My baby sister is 8 years old. Thankfully she's not old enough for the reaping. At least I will not be in the reaping pool any longer when my sister enters. My mother wouldn't be able to stand it if she has three children in the reaping all at the same time. Not after what happened to Ash.

The kiss Juniper's head and stand. "Cmon June, lets go eat breakfast." The two of us walk out to the kitchen. Our house isn't very large. But it's a decent size for the seam. That is, the mining part of District 12. Where all the poor and starving families live. The house has 3 rooms and a bathroom. One room, the large one, is where all my siblings and I sleep. Then there the smaller room. That is where my mother sleeps and where my father used to sleep. They both connect to the kitchen/dining area.

Caerus is already at the table. My mother is at the stove. "Good morning dear." My mother calls to me. I nudge June to the table and go give my mother a kiss. Then dish myself hot mush and grab a slice of bread.

When I sit at the table again, June scooches down the bench to my side.

"What's up with you today, huh?" I tease her. "You're like a leech."

Caerus looks up from his breakfast and states, "It's the reaping genius. Your name is in there eighteen times."

June whimpers as I glare at Caerus. I know why she's stuck to my hip. She is afraid I will be chosen. But I won't acknowledge that.

"Caerus." My mother snaps, glaring at him as well.

Caerus looks at my mother. "What? It's true. She could be chosen-"

"Caerus!" I try not to yell, but I do anyways. "I won't get chosen. So stop."

"That's what you said about Ash too. And look where he is!" Caerus yells. Juniper burst into tears and I almost slap my idiot of a brother. This reaping day is starting out just wonderful.

My mother's give me a pointed look and picks up my sister. "We're going to get ready. Estelle?" They leaves the room and I'm left with Caerus glaring down at his breakfast. I stand and slid onto the bench next to him. Neither of us make eye contact.

"Caerus. You can't say stuff like that she too young." I say softly. When he doesn't respond, I reach up and brush a few dark curls away from his eyes. They are filled with tears.