twenty-four

thirty-five minutes later - May 21, 2020
billies POV

i'm lying on my bed, holding my phone over my face as i scroll through instagram, liking random posts of cute girls and badass tattoos that fans will probably freak out about later.

my phone starts ringing loudly, the sudden noise making my body jump in fright, the tiny computer falling flat on my face.

"fuck me," i groan, pressing the green button on the screen as i hold my now throbbing nose. "i'm gonna have to have you look at my nose later, gwen." i mumble into the phone as i press it to my ear.

"i need your help!"

that is definitely not gwen.

"who is this?" i ask, sitting up in the bed. i pull my knees to my chest as my eyebrows furrow.

"my name's weston and your friend went to save my brother." the squeaky voice said through the phone. "the water just keeps coming and i can't see them!"

"where are you, weston?" i ask as i immediately roll out of bed, my heart beginning to race.

"i'm at the bridge by the hospital," he sobs into the phone, the sound of rushing water nearly drowning out his voice. "she told me to call 911 and i did, but they said they would be a while."

"son of a bitch," i mutter, regretting my words as i realize i have a child on the phone. "don't repeat that, kid."

he mumbles something incoherent into the phone as i run out to my car and shove my key into the ignition.

i feel like i'm always going out of my way to save gwens ass, but then again, she's saved mine. that makes it even.

i press my foot against the gas and speed to the bridge near the hospital, slamming on the breaks as i pull up behind her car.

such a cute car.

not the time.

i run through the brush and under the bridge, making my way to the flooded alleyway. from my spot on the bank, i can see the water flowing from the storm drain.

"jesus christ," i mutter, shoving my hand through my messy hair. looking through the water in the dark, i could see two masses floating in the distance. "oh my god."

i turn on the flashlight on my phone - thank god for waterproof cases - and run into the water. the closest body was small, but the clothes on the body made it harder to pull them out of the water. i pull the small body into my arms and struggle to pull myself back to the bank, immediately laying the body down on the cold and wet concrete.

a boy with dark hair now lay in front of me, his body cold and unmoving.

"fuck," i mumble to myself, gripping into my own hair tightly as i wreck my brain, trying to remember cpr.

is that what they call it? cpr?

i think it is.

in the movies, they always breathe into the mouth and then press on the chest, right?

am i delusional? probably.

i pinch the boys nose and breathe into his mouth once, leaning my ear down to listen for any breathing sounds.

nothing.

i press on his chest five times, using all of my strength.

crack!

oh fuck.

fuck fuck fuck.

i just broke him. oh my god. i broke the kid.

i continue my actions as a helicopter flies overhead, and i see two bodies running up to me.

"what happened?" was me of the men ask me, kneeling down beside the boy.

"i don't know," i say honestly, looking at him with panicked eyes. "if you take care of him, i'll get the girl." i tell him, motioning to the water.

"go," he says, starting the compressions of the chest on the boy.

i run back into the water and see no second body.

you've gotta be kidding me.

fuck my life.

i dive into the water, my eyes wide open. the blurriness of my vision with the light of my phone wasn't the best, but it helped me see just a bit.

it took me three times of coming up for air before i finally find the second body just beneath the surface of the water.

i wrap my arms around her and pull the both of us up, gasping for air as i clutch the girl to my body. i pull her to the bank and lie her down on the cement, tears filling my eyes as i look at her unmoving body.

"baby, no," i say softly, leaning my head on her chest as the paramedics duck out of the helicopter and run over with a red board of some sort, as well as an abundance of medical equipment.

"don't leave me. please don't leave me."

sorry i'm late.
love you.