two

one month later - february 21, 2020                                                                                                                      day two

"gwendolyn, do you remember the girl you performed surgery on about a month ago?"sylvia asks me as she barged into the on-call room, the automatic lights turning on.

i cover my tired eyes with my arm and groan, "sylvia, i've done a lot of surgeries in the last month - you're gonna have to be more specific."

she rolls her eyes at my words and huffs, crossing her arms over my chest. "the girl with the gunshot wound to the abdomen - the one with green hair."

i furrow my eyebrows and sit up slightly in the uncomfortable bunk bed, thinking hard and fast as i think about the girl. "yeah, billie something, i think."

"exactly," she says, shoving her hand through her thick blonde hair. "well, she's back - this time with a broken ankle."

"for God's sake," i curse, pulling myself from the bunk bed, i braid my hair to the side quickly and look up at the clock on the wall. "she couldn't have waited another thirty minutes before getting hurt again?"

"sorry, doc," sylvia says lowly before twisting her body and walking out of the on-call room. "the girl is a walking accident!"

"this is only the second time she's been in, sylv," i say as i follow her, pulling my arms through the white coat. "and besides, she sent me a gift basket for saving her life."

"she seems like a sweet girl, yes," the head nurse says as she brushes her hair behind her ear. "but even her mother said she's prone to accidents."

"arent we all?" i ask the older woman, raising an eyebrow as i push my way into the room. "billie!"

"hey, doc," she says sheepishly, brushing her dyed hair behind her ear as she looks at me. "i swear, i hate coming here."

"aw," i let out a soft laugh, pulling the stool beside the bed as i take her ankle into my hand gently. "try working here everyday."

"i'm sure its stressful," billie says, a whimper leaving her lips as i dig my fingers into her swollen skin. "fuck, that shit hurts like hell, bro."

"i know," i tell her, my left eye dropping in a wink before i pull away from her, writing a few words into her chart. "its definitely broken - how did this happen?"

"i was on stage and just-" she paused her words and demonstrated with her hands how she fell. "my head hit the ground like this- and when i tried to get up to continue the show, i fell again."

i nod at her words, jotting them down on her chart. "i'm gonna wrap you up and send you home with a prescription for the pain, but before that, i'm gonna need to look at your head so i can determine if you have a concussion or not."

she nods slightly, her long acrylic nails trailing up and down her arm slowly. "do what you gotta do."

i take my small flashlight pen from my pocket and get closer to her, holding her eye open as i check for the restriction of her pupils.

"you don't have a concussion," i tell her, scribbling on the chart once again. "i'll be right back with a nurse so we can get you wrapped up and out of here, sound good?"

"yes ma'am," she says softly, a small smile gracing her lips.

A/N

I swear to god if wattpad deletes this again im gonna sue.