Chapter 41: Fortune Family and the Eagles, Part 1

An old man sits at a table outside of a restaurant, sipping a morning cup of tea and reading a novel. A cane rests on his leg and a bowler cap covers his bald head. He has gone by many names over his long life; the name he currently goes by is Kaiser Stroheim. He is a Stand User, and a powerful one at that, one who has fought other Stand User since before most of his enemies were alive.

Two men spy on him from a nearby balcony, watching him through a telescope. "What's he doing?" one of them asks.

"He's just sitting there reading," the one staring through the telescope replies.

"Still? He's been reading for like, fifteen minutes!"

"What do you want me to say?"

"Something different!"

"Okay, fine. He just pulled out a big briefcase full of money and is counting it now."

"Really?"

"No."

One of the spies groans and throws his hands up. "Why are we even waiting?" he says. "He's just an old man, let's kill him already!"

"He's also a Stand User," the other says calmly.

The one without the telescope slams his fist down on the roof. "So are we!"

Three metal birds appear next to him as he says this, punctuating his point. "Screw it, I'm done waiting!" he shouts as he leaps off the roof.

His birds caw and fly towards Kaiser, sharpened talons shining in the morning sun. Moments before the birds reach Kaiser, a great gust of wind appears, knocking the birds away. Their master flies back, crashing into a store window.

He crawls out of the store to see swirling winds surround Kaiser. This wind rips metal fence posts from the ground and throws them into the air. The force of the wind slams down on the impulsive Stand User, pressing him and his birds flat on the ground. The wind shifts and the fence posts crash down, stabbing the birds in their wings. The Stand User screams as blood gushes from his arms.

Kaiser calmly raises a hand and the wind stops. "That is enough for now, dearest Nico," he says.

A tall man floats down from the rooftops, carried by the wind. He wears a black bearskin cap and a red shirt emblazoned by golden crosses. "I apologize for getting carried away," he says as he bows before Kaiser.

"That is quite alright, you merely wounded him," Kaiser says.

"There was another one with him a moment ago, should I fetch him?" Nico asks.

Kaiser sips his tea. "Allow me," he says. He stands up and points his cane at the rooftop where the second spy hides. "You there, man on the rooftop. We have shown your partner a moment of mercy, but this moment is fleeting. Come down or both of you shall meet your end."

The man with the telescope scurries down from the rooftop and runs over to the man who summoned the birds. He helps his partner to his feet, supporting him over his shoulder. Kaiser looks over the two men. Both are young, early twenties at most, and wear ripped suits. The one with the telescope wears a blue suit with a purple tie and the one with the birds wears a purple suit with a blue tie. Other than their different suit colors, the men are identical.

"Twins," Kaiser says, giving a sideways glance at Nico. "Both of you have Stands, I presume?"

"Yes," the one with the telescope and the blue suit says. "My name is Santiago, and this is my brother Salvatore."

"Don't tell him our names!" the injured brother, Salvatore, says.

"Oh no, he knows our names. Now he'll be able to track us down," Santiago says flatly.