Chapter 9: Johana Awakens

The Stand is tall and thin, with mechanical joints and iron skin. It looks like something pulled out of a junkyard; its skin is covered in scratches and rust. A pair of triangular sunglasses, scarlet like the Stand's mohawk, cover its golden eyes. Dozens of metal rods poke out of the Stand's back. Red bands, like the cylinders of a revolver, cover the Stand's wrists. The Stand hunches over beside Johana, its arms dangling at its side.

"Seems that there's more to you than I thought," Mr. Burnham says.

Johana stares at her Stand. Slowly, she moves her hand and touches her Stand on the shoulder. The Stand elbows her in the stomach, knocking her onto her back.

The Stand runs down the hallway, roaring through a mouth of pointed teeth as it charges at Mr. Burnham. Johana feels a pull, like a chain has been wrapped around her stomach. The chain grows tight and Johana is drug across the floor, following after her charging Stand.

As it runs down the hallway, the crimson bands covering Johana's Stand's wrists begin to spin, creating a noise similar to that of a jet engine. As Johana's Stand grows close, Mr. Burnham's Stand, Deep, aims its harpoon at a nearby hospital room. Right before Johana's Stand strikes him, Mr. Burnham fires the harpoon.

Mr. Burnham is pulled out of the way of Johana's Stand's strike. The punch from the unnamed Stand shatters the window. Johana, kept moving by the momentum created when her Stand drug her, slides out the open window.

Johana's Stand grabs her by her hair and yanks her back into the hospital. Johana slams onto the hard floor of the hallway and groans. "Congrats, Johana, you summoned an amazing Stand," she mutters from the floor.

Johana pulls herself to her feet and takes a deep breath, using Hamon to heal the bruises from her trip across the floor. "I don't recall telling you to go berserk like that," Johana says. "I guess I need to practice controlling you."

The Stand grabs Johana by the hair again and pulls her out of the way just in time to keep her from being struck by Mr. Burnham's harpoon. "Okay, stop it with the hair thing," Johana says.

The Stand takes off again, charging towards the source of the harpoon, a hospital room with a closed door. Johana chases after her Stand. The Stand breaks down the door, revealing an empty exam room. The Stand growls and starts tearing the room apart, looking for Mr. Burnham.

"You seem to be a close-range power type, similar to Nero's Viva La Vida," Johana says as she steps into the room. "Nero's Stand has the ability to decay things by punching them, do you have a secondary ability like that?"

The Stand doesn't respond. Instead, it rips a cabinet full of medical supplies off the wall and slams it on the ground. The Stand starts kicking the cabinet. "Not much of a talker, are you?" Johana quips.

The Stand kicks Johana in the stomach, knocking her away from Mr. Burnham's harpoon. The harpoon hits a cabinet and pulls it back through the wall of the hospital room. Johana's Stand roars and chases after the cabinet, slamming face-first into the wall.

Johana runs after her Stand. "Stop charging like a maniac!" she shouts.

The Stand stops and roars at Johana. "Stands are manifestations of a person's psyche, right? That means that you're just my subconscious," Johana says. "Look, I get that you're angry. I'm pissed about Mylo to. But we can't just go nuts and destroy shit. We need to keep our cool. Otherwise, we won't be able to avenge Mylo. Okay?"

The Stand grunts and crosses its arms. Johana smiles. "Okay, let's be smart about this. This guy's been attacking us through the walls, but disappearing when we get close to him. He knows that we're strong at close range, so he's trying to get a good shot in from a distance. We need to figure out where he's attacking us from," Johana says.