Chapter Thirty-Three: Escapades

Katerin awoke in the night, sitting straight up in her bed. The curtains were drawn, but the moon had no place in her vision, hidden as it was by the clouds. She slipped from under Fykes arm, careful not to wake him, his soft hair a mess around his face. She looked out the bedroom window, and saw nothing amiss, and so she donned her robe, and made her way down the hall, noting the lack of candle light under every door except for Brazen's. He was likely reading, as she knew he hated being idle for any longer than necessary. Her family and her charge was safe, but she felt an icy chill along her spine that made her wish for her weapons, and her armor.

Katerin?

Mordai's voice in her mind startled her, and she was thankful for the rug underfoot to mute her steps as she jumped.

What do you want? Why would you wake me up?

Can you help me? Kryrial... he knows. I need a way out... His tone was desperate. That same aching sound she had heard a thousand times before.

No, she told herself, and him.

Katerin please. I don't want anyone else to get hurt. I can't go to the Tower... I.. I have no one.

And you don't think that isn't what you deserve!? Don't you have plenty of people to ask? You said yourself you never needed me.

I always needed you, Kat. Please. I'll go to Graiden. Help me make this right.

All I've done is try to clean up your mess! She yelled, and nearly told her words aloud, as she paced in the hall.

I know. Mordai's voice broke, and her anger melted in its sincerity. Do you remember Berin's Cabin?

Of course. Mordai had taken her out there for the night, after he had tried to use charming magic on not one, but four of the city guard, on the night that they were supposed to be studying for a test. It was a modest cabin on the plains just west of the city, with a pretty view of the city lights at night. Give me one godsdamned reason to help you. She wasn't sure if the statement was a challenge or a plea.

I'm sorry I hurt you.

That isn't a reason, Mordai!

He will kill me. He's not going to keep me as a pet, or a bauble. He's already looking... I don't have much time left.

No, Katerin repeated, before she cut off the magic and paced back to her room. She lay in the bed and watched the clouds roil across the sky. They seemed ready to fight one another, as they rolled to the ocean. Or maybe they were racing to see who could get there first. Sleep had left no traces in her mind, and her gaze was pulled across her room. She saw Fykes' shirt, and his sword belt hung neatly. Beside the wardrobe was the table that held her armor, and beside that was her staff.

Berin's cabin. I can bring him back to Graiden. She gritted her teeth.

Lodyne's presence filled her, and she stiffened at the words inside her mind. Child, it is only a ploy. This pain will not fade with such a simple choice.

You don't want me to save him. But, then again, I'm sure you would be overjoyed if I lost all that I love. Katerin began pacing before her wardrobe.

I want you to help me. His actions have nothing to do with that. I am trying to warn you, Katerin. Going is a mistake. Do not cave to him now.

What are you trying to stop? Hmm? What happens if I save him? Does your plan fall apart? Katerin felt like screaming, and her hands shook as she heard the distant crashing of ocean waves. Most nights they were a comfort when she awoke from wicked dreams.