Chapter 5: Shade

As she sauntered into her house, her hands gripping a baseball bat, Shade marveled at how her life had become so eventful in a matter of hours. They had arrived at her front porch when she noticed a car parked outside their house. Suspicious; she twisted the doorknob only to find it unlocked as the door creaked open.

She had panicked, her eyes flitting towards her sisters and Avit who looked equally worried. However, when her gaze landed on Fiona, her worry turned into amusement as Fiona calmly brought a baseball bat out of her backpack, a wry smile on her face. Fiona handed it to her then signaled that she should enter the house first since she had the weapon.

Nodding she had walked in bravely, but as she heard sounds echoing through the house, her courage began to wane. She listened closely deducing that the sounds were coming from the kitchen, her momentary fear was replaced with annoyance. If that stranger had somehow gotten into her ice-cream...

Shade took in a deep breath and walked in when a familiar voice said dryly "Don't bother with the surprise attack. I could hear your breathing from five miles away and no I didn't take your ice-cream, but from the looks of it, Dad did."

Shade was now officially pissed, but as her eyes met with familiar silver eyes, her bat dropped on the floor as she ran to hug her sister, Shola. The others rushed in at the sound of the metal bat hitting the floor only to find Shade hugging a stranger.

"Shade," Fiona hissed " you're supposed to be hitting not hugging..."

Shola raised an eyebrow, Shade smiled sheepishly and told her about their attack plan. Shola laughed as her eyes landed on Bai and Bao. She walked towards them as she smiled " You must Bai and Bao, I don't think you would recognize me since I left home before my mom married your dad."

Bao frowned at this but allowed her to continue "It's nice to finally meet you. I'm Shola your elder sister." Bai moved towards her and hugged her " I'm Bai, it's nice to finally meet you. Do you have any advice about boys perhaps, or whether my outfit looks or how-"

"Bai Zucheng ziji*. Bao hissed. She turned to Shola "Its  a pleasure to  meeting you,"

"Thank yo-."

"Is what I would say if I wasn't taught to tell lies. As you said my Dad married Mom, so there's no need to call you my sister if you do not acknowledge that. Also, your squad on our roof are annoyingly loud for what you would call trained assassins. Lastly, if you ever again decide to use your relationship with my family as an excuse to attack us, I will personally end you."

Shola stepped back with a cold smile " And what pray tell dear sister, makes you think there will be a next time? As you said I already have you cornered. Your ability to control the night is useless as it's still day."

Bao sneered " Well, my dear sister you must then know I also control darkness and if my twin is able to control light she can make a way for me. Now Bai!

"Guanxie!"

All light left the room rendering the room completely dark, Shade looked around afraid just as someone grabbed her hand, She closed her eyes momentarily then opened them. She was outside her house, Fiona holding her hand. Relieved that everyone was okay, she started bombarding Bao with questions to which Bao replied "I can answer your questions later but for now, we have to leave. My spell lasts for only five minutes."

"Shade?" Avit whispered.

"Yeah?"

"Should we be worried about the group of assassins coming towards us?"

"What group of assassins?... Shit."Shade exclaimed as Shola's team came towards them sharp and pointy objects raised.

"We have to leave now." 

"But what about Mum and Dad? they don't know that Shola is evil." Bai queried.

"We'll deal with that later, but right now we need to get out of here." 

Fiona was too weak to cast another teleportation spell as her aura looked dim, so they had to run instead. We can't outrun them, they are trained we arent Shade thought so she stopped.

Fiona stopped and shouted"Shade, what are you doing? 

"I'm not sure, but I think the humans call it being a leader. We can't outrun them but we can fight. We have magic, they don't."

Fiona sighed "Thanks Shade. I didn't seem to notice that, maybe it's because I'm too busy trying to run for my life. I hope you're not gonna pretend that they are the ones carrying weapons."

Shade smiled warily as she turned the face them "Okay Shade, you can do this,"  she mumbled to herself "just remember what you learned in Dad's book." 

A weapon is only as powerful as the one wielding it. 

"Avit" Shade yelled" I'm gonna need some mischief, Bai make it a bit brighter and Bao, I need to you cover me. Fiona, try to recharge. We need to teleport as soon as I give the signal."

Thye all nodded in response, Avit conjured a huge rubber that landed in the middle of the assassins causing them to disperse. Bai moved the rays in their direction momentarily blinding them. Shade charged towards them when a baseball bat suddenly appeared in her hands, she looked back to see Fiona smile weakly and nodded. 

Shade ducked her head just as a blade sliced through the air, she stood up as she faced her attacker. A girl with one green eye, the other covered by her red hair faced her, a cold smile on her face. She swung her sword at Shade again but Bao's shadows had enveloped Shade just in time. Shade smiled as she swung her bat at the girl's feet knocking her down. 

Her sword clattered to the ground, Shade picked it up and threw the bat to Fiona who caught and hit a boy with silver hair on the head, knocking him out. She heard a scream and turned to see Bai being held by the throat a dagger at her neck, a large muscular bald girl behind her. Furious, she kicked the blue-haired boy she was fighting in the balls. He groaned in pain, kneeling down she smirked as she punched his face until she knocked him out.

She charged towards them feeling Bao's shadows merge with her aura, she felt powerful as her sword lit up into flames.  She looked at the girl her eyes glowing red just for a second, "Release her or burn where you stand." The girl showed no sign of fear and instead moved the dagger closer to Bai's throat.  Shade laughed coldly. "I warned you but since you chose to die, so be it."

Shade swung her sword in one swift motion and sliced her arm clean off. The girl let go of Bai who ran to meet Bao. As she burst into flames, her screams piercing the air, Shade heard a voice say That's enough, do not kill her. She looked around to see where it had come from but saw no one. She heard it again.

Shade, do you as you've been told.

Sighing, she clicked her fingers ,the flames disappeared leaving the girl unconscious. She threw the sword to the ground as she ran towards Bai who was still sobbing. 

"It's okay, You're safe now." Shade whispered as she hugged her tighter.

She pulled away, turning to Fiona who nodded casting a teleportation spell just as the assassins began to wake up. They landed in front of a park gate. Bao looked around a suspicious look on her face, she turned her piercing gaze on Avit who looked away quickly.

" Avit, I'm only gonna ask this once, and if you lie to me I will not hesitate to feed you to my shadows."

"Okay?"

" Neither one of you know where the camp is, do you?"

Hello, I know it's been a while since I updated so this is my Valentine's day gift to you all.

*Bao and Bai learned how to speak Chinese. Well, Bao forced Bai to just so they could communicate secretly. Bao had told Bai to compose herself. P.s sorry for the crappy fight scene, it's not my forte.