13

Liam and Niall came running towards them.
"Help me get this off him! Carefully!" Harry shouted.

They managed to get the spacesuit off. Harry pulled down the zipper on his overall to examine him. His ribcage was bruised and he let his fingers feel over it which made Louis flinch in pain even though he was unconscious.
"He has two broken ribs. Niall get my medicine bag."

He continued his examination but something was clouding his sight. He wiped his eyes and realized he was crying. Niall came back with his bag and he continued to check every inch of Louis's body in a frenzy. He let out a breath of relief.
"Okay, nothing else seems broken. Help me bandage his ribs."

They worked in silence and when they were done they carefully carried him to Harry's bunkbed.
"He's gonna be okay Harry." Liam said and put a hand on his shoulder for comfort.

"I was too close to losing him." Harry answered.

"But you didn't. You saved his life, Harry." Niall replied softly.

"Call if you need us." With that, Liam and Niall left the room.

Harry hadn't stopped crying. Louis started to stir. He grunted and opened his eyes slowly.
"Harry?"

"Shhh, don't move. You cracked some ribs. Here take this. Painkillers."

"You saved me."

"Why the hell did you have to go out there? Stupid! Stupid! I almost lost you." Harry was full-time bawling his eyes out by now.

"Don't cry, baby. I'm the mechanic. I had to go out there." Louis said softly. His breath hissed when he reached out to take Harry's hand. That hurt his ribs.

"Change occupation." Harry pouted.

"Uhm, I'm not in the position to do so right now and I like my occupation." Louis said with a giggle and immediately winced in pain.

"Just, fuck, don't you dare die on me!"

"I'm sorry I scared you, love. Come here."

Harry leaned his forehead against Louis' and Louis wiped away his tears.
"I love you." Harry said softly. It was the first time he uttered those three words and he was nervous about Louis's reaction.

He didn't have to be. Louis smiled and planted a kiss on his lips.
"I love you too silly. Thank you for saving my life."

"Thank you for being alive."

Louis moved closer to the wall with a little help from Harry so the emotionally curly-haired man could lay down beside him. He put his arm around him and made him put his head on his chest despite Harry's protest that he would hurt him. He felt truly happy to be alive but most of all he was over the moon happy that Harry just said that he loved him. Harry had similar thoughts and feelings. They fell asleep just like that.

Weeks turned into months which turned into years. Louis's ribs had healed with a little love and care from Harry. They all created a life together in their shuttle. They were still on a mission and they were finally getting close. The two years to get to Mars were soon ending and they would see the mysterious planet up close. They were all really excited and so was Zayn. He had followed the four men closely and they felt like good friends.

It was Liam's turn to take the night watch and he was sitting in the cockpit staring out into space. They could see Mars in a distance and they were slowly getting closer and closer.

"Liam, could I talk to you about something?" Louis had come into the cockpit.

"Sure mate, what's up?"

Louis took a seat next to Liam.
"I need your help with something."

"Okay?"

"I want to propose to Harry."

"That's great Louis! I'm sure he'll say yes in a heartbeat. He loves you so much." Liam said with a smile.

"Yeah, I sure hope so." Louis chuckled nervously.

"So how can I help you?"

"I want to get married here. Like, when we arrive on Mars. It will be the wedding of a lifetime." Louis said with glittery eyes.

"That's...bloody brilliant!" Liam grinned.

"Do you think he will think so too?"

"Yeah. So you need someone who can wed you?"

"Well, yes. I want it to be the real deal, you know."

Liam thought about it for a second and then he leaned forward and pressed the button to talk to ground control.
'Zayn? Are you there?"

"Yeah, what's up Payne?"

"Don't you ever sleep?" Liam chuckled.

"Yeah, I'm on my way to bed now. Don't you worry about me."

"So, Louis here is proposing to Harry!"

"What? That's awesome! Congratulations mate!" Zayn immediately answered.

Two years of checking in on his four favorite astronauts daily and he knew everything that happened on the shuttle, well most of it.
"Thanks, Zayn." Louis beamed.

"So, he wants them to have their wedding here as soon as we arrive on Mars. Liam continued.

"Shit! That's in four days." Zayn replied, sounding stressed out, like he was the wedding planner or something. "Okay, what can I do to help?"

"You could get certified online so you could wed them if you're okay with that Louis?" Liam suggested.

"Yeah, that would be great!" Louis answered excitedly.

"Ehm, yeah, I can do that. Of course, I'd love to wed them!" Zayn answered.

"Oh and Zayn? Is there any chance that you could like Skype our families so they can hear the wedding at least? Ehm, and you might wanna explain to them that we're a couple as well and that we really love each other and have been for two years? I just have to double-check with Harry that he's okay with his family finding out like that but it would feel weird if they wouldn't be a part of our wedding. Give me a day to pop the question." Louis said.

"Wow, yeah, of course I'll contact them if Harry is fine with it. Let me know. I'm gonna google Internet churches now. The things I do for you guys." Zayn answered and signed off.

"Well, we have a lot to do tonight! You need rings!" Liam grinned.

"Where the hell would I find rings up here?"

"Don't you have any copper thread in all that equipment of yours Mr. Mechanic?"

"Yeah?"

"Well, go and get it. We're gonna braid rings!"