"For someone who spent a few days trapped with him, you know a lot about him."

Of course I did, I was always observant. Though I could question that right now. I'd seen the Rolex watch and the way he spent over thousands for a car on the spot and it still didn't click.

I was lacking.

For the next few hours I stayed seated on the couch.
I was extremely tired from cooking and wedding planning that I didn't have any energy left.

I just wondered how I'd be when I got a real job, though I wasn't sure what I'd do. Maybe I could work at the local cafe.

Kegan let the pad of a finger run down my back, slipping under my camisole and moving towards the waistband of my shorts. My eyes flickered to his with weakness.

"Come on." He said, but even if I wasn't tired I just wasn't in the mood right now. Not after what he did last night.

It usually took me a few days before I got comfortable with him again after his outbursts.

"I said I was sorry." He whispered, starting to kiss my cheek. "You know I love you."

"You don't show it."

His breaths fanned my skin. "I'm showing it now."

I stayed quiet as he started to pull my waistband down. "You never show it otherwise."

My eyes met with his when he pulled back. "What do you mean?"

"I mean....You never say you love me, or kiss me when we're not fucking."

"But I do love you."

"And you never talk to me when we're in public. And when that guy touched my ass on the subway you didn't care."

"I did care." He tried pulling my shorts down completely before I stopped him.

"I'm not in the mood Kegan."

He sat back, his eyes glaring at me in shock and disbelief. "What is this about?"

"Nothing."

"Because you haven't slept with me since yesterday, and we used to fuck all the time Alex."

I pulled my knees to my chest, looking anywhere but at him.

"Do you even want to marry me?" He asked.

He couldn't be serious. I left my family for him, left my country, my home all for this marriage and he was still asking me that. A chuckle left my mouth. "You're joking Kegan."

The impact of his palm against my cheek was sudden, and what stung more than the pain was his expression. Like he was disgusted by me.

My hand slid over my cheek. Tears burned in my eyes, but I fought hard not to let them go. He hated it when I cried, said it annoyed him.

He stood up, walking towards the door as my eyes followed. "Where are you going?"

I heard the jingling of keys before the door slammed shut. When he was gone I knew it was safe to cry. And my sobs were loud enough for the neighbours to hear.

~Leonardo~

"The dinner's at 8."

After loading my gun I placed it on the table, before sitting back and placing my forearm on the armrest.

"And Gregorio will be there." I replied to my father, my tone bitter. I couldn't feel anything other than that when talking about the man who got my mother killed. My father stood and headed to the door.

"No trouble Leonardo."

The door shut with a click. I checked my phone for any messages from Cade, my right hand man who was doing research on the fiancé of a certain brunette.

Anyone would think I was crossing a line. My curiosity never got the best of me, I always remained strictly profession except for now. I wouldn't let myself rest until I knew she was safe.

Cade: She's been out of the radar for 2 weeks.

Fuck. That couldn't good, but that didn't mean it was bad either. Something clawed at my chest to leave it, to move on from this but every time I felt that fucking necklace in my pocket I knew I couldn't.

———

"Still wanting to look deeper?"

I stepped into the elevator and pressed the button. I left the dinner with my father and his friend early, he got on my fucking nerves too much.

"If she's off the radar in both countries it means something's wrong." I said to Cade on the other line of the phone.

"Well I traced her records again like you told me to do. I don't know if you'll like what I have to say."

My smooth heartbeats filled the silence as I waited for him to speak. "Well fucking spit it out."

"Ok. She's at a nuthouse."

"What?"

"Its a psychiatric hospital for-"

"I know what a fucking nuthouse is." I spat, leaving the elevator and walking towards my car in the parking garage. "You must have got the wrong girl."

"She has dark hair right? Brown eyes, round face, perfect tits-"

"Cade." I lowly snapped.

"Sorry boss. I'm sure I've got the right records. She arrived there two weeks ago sent in by her fiancé who gave a statement about her having a psychotic break. It's in New York, I can send the location if you want to check it out."

I headed through the underground parking lot towards my car, the chilly winter air touching my skin as I thought. But I didn't need to think.

"No."

She was safe, it was enough for me to stop this investigation and focus more on my work. I shut the phone and when I sat in my car, I suddenly felt helpless.

Leonardo fucking De Luca and helpless in the same sentence.

My fist smashed against the steering wheel, already raw from taking my anger out on something harder earlier on.

This was so much of a fucking inconvenience it was eating away at my mind. It made me furious, made me lose control when I didn't give in.

Which is why I found myself landing in New York the next day, willing to do anything to get rid of the ruthless thoughts.

I wanted to get back to my life and not let her ruin it without even being in it.

"Thought you said she was irritating as fuck." Dante said as he stepped out of the jet. I ran a hand over my tie, looking at how grim the weather was in New York today.

"She is."