prologue

❅❄❆

I watched listlessly as the snowflakes swirled in the dark sky along with the ashes of my now destroyed home. I couldn’t even remember who or what has caused such a massacre upon the snow faery village.

Whether it was ogres, trolls, or even a dragon…I do not know. Not that it matters anyway.

It was cruel how just hours ago there was a lively snow village filled with laughter and festivities. My fellow snow fae were dancing with the snowflakes and singing songs of eternal winters, now there was nothing.

Nothing but chilling silence.

Mama and Father…Rosalba and Oren…everyone is gone.

Crystalized tears glided down my face and into the freshly fallen snow. As the tears fell I slowly began to be buried beneath the ice. My body was bruised, bleeding, and ice cold, but it didn’t bother me. It never does. Every snow faery had pure white skin cold to the touch. I actually found comfort in the soft snowflakes encasing me.

“Biera dear, what are you doing hiding underneath all that snow?” my mama asked my younger self. I looked up at her with tearful eyes. Her long silvery hair dragged behind her as she came closer to me. He large glass like wings fluttered as she smiled down to me her eyes filled with motherly love.

I sniffled shaking the flakes from my hair childishly. “M-Mama…Rosalba and me found a little birdie in the snow on our way home…bu-but it wasn’t moving!” I stuttered unable to stop the tears from falling.

Mama hummed in understanding and picked me up in her hand, after all I was about the size of her longest finger. She patted my head and poked my cheek. Rubbing the cheek that she poked, I looked up into her opal colored eyes.

“So the tears you shed are for the soul of the poor bird? My darling daughter, you must not cry! For that bird is free!”

“What do you mean, Mama?” I asked confused by what she said.

“Even though the bird’s body is returning to the earth and is being buried beneath the snow, its spirit is still flying in the air, never again to feel sadness, pain, or loneliness. Just eternal happiness.” Mama explained longingly. I tilt my head curiously.

“So the bird is now in that place humans call…haevin?”

My mama laughed. “Whether that bird is in Heaven, Nirvana, The Summerland, or was even given another life in this land…that bird will be missed deeply…but he will be happy, just as any other who has passed from this life will.”

 I shook myself out of the memory of so long ago. Remembering my mothers wise words I knew I had could not grieve any longer. As much as I miss my friends and kin I do not wish to die.

I stood on wobbly legs as I brushed fresh snow off of my body. I fluttered my wings once…twice…three times before I soared through the cold night air. I needed to find a new home.

Luckily for me, the snow was falling slow and gentle so I didn’t have to put in any extra effort in flying. However, the air was too quiet for my liking, so I decided to sing a melody taught to me by the ice pixies that resided near the ice river near my old village.

When snowflakes fall to the ground

The fireflies cannot be found

For winter wakes from its long sleep

Now the butterflies begin to weep

The forest elves has had their fun

But now the winter faeries can fly and run

The scent of snow covers the earth

As the faeries play and sing with mirth

The fae sing of the snow flowers bloom

Comparing them to the ocean’s spume

One day the sun will shine again

But the faeries will continue to dance till then

I must have flown for hours seeing nothing but endless snow, until I finally found myself at the out skirts of a human village. I debate whether to enter the village and find a place to stay, but decided against it since it was so late at night.

Upon that thought I flew up to the closest tree and took shelter within its knothole. Tomorrow. Tomorrow I will find aid from the village and build my new home. Before I fell into a deep and exhausted sleep I prayed that I would not wake from a nightmare.

❅❄❆