Chapter 34: The fourth Brethren Court.

Начните с самого начала

"Those aren't pieces of eight, they're pieces of junk!" Pintel whispered, apparently having the same thoughts as me.
Mr Gibbs nodded, "aye, the original plan was to use nine pieces of eight to bind Calypso, but when the first court met, the Brethren were to a one, skint broke," he explained in a hushed tone.

"So change the name," Pintel muttered.

"To what? 'Nine pieces of whatever we have in our pockets at the time?' Oh yes, that sounds very piraty," Mr Gibbs snarked back, rolling his eyes.
I had to hold in a laugh at the exchange, agreeing with Mr Gibbs.

I noticed Jack beside me made no effort to remove his piece of eight, which I had always assumed to be the physical piece of eight he had braided into his hair with Moroccan beads above the bandana- but now I wasn't so sure that was his piece. What else did he keep close to him at all times, his hat? It couldn't be, he wasn't wearing it. A ring maybe?
I glanced up at him, looking at the piece of eight above his bandana. When he saw me looking in his direction, he smirked and squeezed my hand, the hand I didn't realise he was still holding. I smiled back and looked away quickly, not wanting to show too much affection in front of a room of legendary pirates.

As Ragetti walked back towards us, stopping beside Hector still holding the wooden tray, Hector cleared his throat and turned to Ragetti, holding out his right hand, "Mr. Ragetti, if you will."

Ragetti froze a moment, looking sheepish, "I kept it safe for you, just like you said when you gave it to me," he almost stuttered as he avoided Hector's gaze. I looked on in confusion, unsure what they were talking about.

"Aye, you did, and now I need it back," Hector wagered, whacking Ragetti sharply across the back of the head, effectively smacking the wooden eye out of his eye socket, making it fall directly into Hector's outstretched hand. Surely that wasn't his piece of eight? My eyes flickered over to Jack, who remained unbelievably quiet, to the point I was mildly concerned about him. I don't think I'd even seen him quiet for so long, except when he was asleep.

"Sparrow!" A pirate lord at the table called out, obviously questioning Jack's lack of sacrifice.
Jack took a breath then reached up towards the coin above his bandana to twist it. I felt his tug my hand slightly before dropping my hand, gesturing me to follow him.
He then sauntered over to the table beside Hector, finally addressing the room, "might I point out that we are still short one pirate lord, and I'm content as a cucumber to wait until Sao Feng joins us."

"Sao Feng is dead," an angry, familiar voice called out from the entryway. My head shot around to make out the figure and my mouth opened in shock as I saw Elizabeth, draped in fine silk and oriental dress as she pierced the globe with her sword.
"He fell to the Flying Dutchman," Elizabeth added, turning to look at me as she nodded, smiling. My heart leapt, thankful she was safe and that our plan had worked, she had successfully tricked Sao Feng and had taken control, getting the last piece of eight to Shipwreck cove. The room erupted in shouts, all the pirates amongst us speaking over each other.

"And they made you Captain? They're just giving the bloody title away now," Jack grimaced. I shot my eyes to him, nudging his side again with my elbow and his lip curled as it did when I scolded him. 

"Listen," Elizabeth urged, trying to gain attention of the room. "Listen, please."
Other than Jack and Hector, everyone in the room continued to argue, ignoring Elizabeth. I'd had enough. I reached out, grasping the cannon ball off the table and slammed it down effectively silencing the room. I turned to Elizabeth and she smiled gently, before carrying on what she was trying to say.