Chapter Five: The Enemies to Friends to Lovers Trope

"The two stared off into each others eyes as they sat wordlessly. Suddenly, she brushed her hand over the other and with a movement so quick, breathlessly whispered into her ear, 'I think I'm in-'"

"Woah, woah. Where did this come from?" Amity asked, looking at the words again to see if she had misread. Luz shrugged and smiled. "I think it's cute, y'know?" Amity shrugged back and snorted. "Yeah, but this sort of trope is...oh, how do I say it...cliched." Luz gasped dramatically, falling backward into the cushy beanbag whilst fanning herself. "How dare you! I must say, this trope is quite adorable!" she cried. Amity giggled at Luz's behavior, slowly feeling a heat rise on her cheeks. "Okay, it's cute. But there is a delicate process to make this trope work well." Amity said. Luz sat up and nodded. "Of course, some shows I watch handled this trope horribly. Although there was this one show with a dumb blonde jock girl and a cat girl... that was amazing." Luz grinned. Amity laughed. "I worry about your human shows, Luz." she giggled. Luz snorted and playfully whacked Amity on the arm. 

"Oh, do you want some more hot chocolate?" Luz asked, noticing the empty mug sat beside Amity. Amity nodded and grabbed the mug to give to Luz. And then, there was a moment between the two. A trope moment. Their hands had touched each other, but there was a lingering touch. Amity made note of this, noticing how both didn't want the touch to leave. The two were just suddenly trapped in a haze, a beautiful one where the world seemed to shatter around them and they were the only two left. But this moment was brief, as Luz quickly took the mug out of Amity's hands. Both girls had a light pink blush dust their cheeks, leaving Amity shivering. 'What the hell was that about?' she thought, as she watched Luz pour another cup of hot chocolate. All of a sudden, Amity found it hard to breathe. "Luz..." she managed to choke out. Hearing Amity cough out, Luz, startled, turned around nearly spilling the cup. "Do...do you mind if I take a quick break? I feel a little...a little stuffy." she stammered. Luz nodded frantically. "Yeah, yeah, yeah, go ahead. Is it the candles? I thought they were too over dramatic and hot, but Eda said that they would be a nice touch-" "Luz, no, they're okay. I just need a time out." Amity reassured. Luz calmed down and nodded. Amity turned around and left the room. 

_______________________

'For Witches Sake, Blight, why are you acting this way?' Amity thought to herself as she paced back and forth on the staircase outside the library. Her mind was racing and her heart was doing ten flips and a handstand around in her body. Twisting a lone strand of hair in her face, she finally sat down on one of the steps. She buried her face into her knees and angrily grunted. "Stupid feelings...stupid me..." Amity muttered. Suddenly, a thought a occurred to her. That stupid trope...that was what Amity and Luz were going through right now! Well, maybe not lovers, but definitely to a weird friendship. But why her? And why now? It all seems so...cliche and stupid...

'But maybe it isn't' a small part of her brain told her. 'Maybe this is good! Think about it Amity, you felt miserable when Luz did show up, but she makes you feel happy, more happy than you've ever been before. Maybe it wasn't a trope that caused you to get here, maybe it was fate.' Amity got up from her spot, and with a small exhale, went back into the library. 

________________________

"Amity, are you okay?" Luz asked, as soon as Amity came back in. She noticed that some of the candles had been blown out  along with a few missing light spells. Amity smiled slightly and nodded. Luz sighed in relief, falling back into her beanbag chair. "Don't scare me like that! I thought it had something to do with me!" Luz shakily laughed. 'In a way it was about you.' Amity thought to herself. But she made her way to the beanbag chair and sat next to Luz. "Don't worry it wasn't you. I think being in here for too long has made my nose a little stuffy." she said. Luz nodded. "Yeah, sorry about all the candles, Eda said that they would be a nice touch for you...in hindsight, I think she was making fun of me." Luz laughed. Amity giggled.

Both girls were silent for a few moments, deciding on what to say next. 

'Hey, wouldn't it be funny to confess to her now?' A stupid part of Amity's brain thought.

'Heyy, gurl, why not tell Amity you wove hwer, he he.' A really weird part of Luz's brain thought. 

"Hey Luz-"

"Hey Amity-"

Both girls paused after they said each other's names in unison. "You first." Amity said, wrapping her arms around her knees. 'Quick, confess your love, have your wedding in Disney Land and binge watch that train show with that mirror girl!' Luz thought. "I, uh..." Luz sputtered on what to say. 'DO IT!' her brain was overwhelmingly shouting. 

"...Do you ever think they'll make Azura into a movie?" Luz asked, while mentally facepalming. Amity shrugged, feeling a bit let down. 

'Welp, time to throw myself into a volcano.' Luz thought. "What were you gonna say?"  Luz asked. Amity froze for a moment. 'Oh cramity, how do I say this?' she thought. 

"I, uh..." Amity was coming up short on words. "I...uh..., um..." 'Quick, abandon ship!' A "rational" part of her brain said. "I...really value our friendship." Amity finally said. 'Anddddd my brain has finally stopped being a brain.' she thought. "Oh." Luz smiled. "I'm glad." Luz put her hand on Amity's shoulder, trying to lean for a side hug. Amity accepted the notion and leaned into Luz's side and rested her head on Luz's shoulder. 

'Why can't I accept these feelings?' Amity thought.

'Why won't you feel the way I do?' Luz thought.