chapter thirty seven | relapse

Start from the beginning

They're going to hurt me they're going to hurt me they're going to hurt me.

Sophia comes back into the room, a doctor behind her. Dr. Maxwell? She returned? She held a tablet in her arms - one that probably controlled my vitals. "Your Majesty, could you maybe get up?"

Tori listens this time, and as she does, two nurses grab me by a shoulders, pinning me against the bed. I squirm, trying to break free from their grasp. I could do it. I didn't have to be held prisoner. "Let me go," I shriek again.

I can barely process what happens next. I scream as they attempt to hold me down. I could feel the energy inside me build up, stacking on top of each other. I could feel the sweat sticking to my body, the heat building inside of me.

And then - I explode. A literal explosion surrounds me. Anything glass shatters, cracks appearing in the window panes. The nurses are pushed back, stumbling back but were careful not to crash into the other two patients. I struggle to breathe.

Weirdly, I feel calmer. Numbness filled me. I know I was given a stronger dose of a sedative, and I know I'm going to crash. I still try and break free. The doctor gives my sister a worried glance.

Eventually, I stop. Victoria walks over, even though Dr. Maxwell tries to hold her back. She pulls out of the doctor's gentle grip and sits next to me. I'm still trying to get up. I need to break out. She holds my wrist, and I collapse onto the bed.

"Close your eyes, Vera," my sister said, her voice low. "You're tired. You need rest. We can talk in the morning when you're feeling better."

I shake my head. "No... no... I want..." I closed my eyes. "I want to talk to Mom."

She stays silent, trying to process what I asked of her. Victoria's hand goes up to my neck, her thumb brushing against the side of my cheek. Tears appear in the corners of her eyes and she takes a minute to glance at Lysander. I don't follow her gaze.

"Mom's dead, Vera. You know that." She gulped before continuing. "You were there..."

I'm still crying. "I want... to talk to Mom." My words are slow. I'm firm with what I needed. My sister starts to cry, shaking her head.

"She's gone, Vera. I'm sorry but she's gone."

I closed my eyes. My body shakes. "No, Tori, no. She's going to come. She sees me when I'm sick."

Victoria pulls me closer, crying. "You're delusional, Vera. She's gone."

But a soft, familiar voice cuts through our sobs. "Victoria, believe your sister once in a while."

My sister pulls away from me, not believing her ears. She doesn't look to where the voice comes from, but to my brother first. His gaze is focused on the figure in the front of the room, her flowing dress moving as she walked closer to me and my sister. She was translucent, I could see the wall behind her.

Our mother - or the ghost of her - stand in front of us. I know I'm not delusional - everyone else watches as the ghostly figure walks closer. Her eyes still sparkle, her lips still soft. She looks me in the eye, and she's sad.

"Victoria, I need a minute with your sister," our mother speaks. Her voice is as melodious as when she was alive. Her ebony locks rest on her shoulder. She was too real, too perfect, to be true. "I'm sure your brother needs your company."

Victoria stands, her eyes unable to leave Mom. Lysander took it slightly better, with him already believing in ghosts - he saw Queen Amelia in his own house. As Victoria sits down, he reaches for her hand.

My mother has her undivided attention on me. "You're in better company compared to last time." She sits down. I could feel her weight on the bed. I could feel her hand as she flips over my right arm, where the one tube on my arm travels down. The black liquid of my veins flow down it. "You handled the detox better this time."