Edward completely ignored her, wrenching open the Volvo door and getting in. Leigh tried to make it look like she was doing something other than staring at them as Rosalie walked around to the back seat, getting in almost as swiftly as her brother. The pixie-like girl and her boyfriend moved a little slower, offering Leigh a small smile that she hadn't been expecting, but the big guy lingered. 

"Hey," he said as Leigh straightened up. 

"Hi," she said. 

"You new?" he asked, folding his arms across his ridiculously wide chest. 

"Yeah, first day," she said, resting an elbow on the top of the open car door. 

He smirked, nodding toward her car. "Nice ride." 

Leigh raised an eyebrow. "Are you disrespecting the Honda?" 

"No," he said, moving to open the Volvo door. "See you around." 

"Yeah," she replied, unsure as to how she felt about him. "See you." 

~~~

Leigh pushed a piece of broccoli around her plate. 

The dining room was quiet, other than the clink of glass and the scrape of cutlery against plates, and Leigh was uncomfortable. Lorrie insisted on family dinners every night, despite knowing that no one really wanted to be there. 

"Daniel, how was your day?" 

The young boy chewed on his mouthful for an excruciatingly long time before responding to their father. 

"Alright. I made a friend. His name's Karim." 

A hum of approval followed. "That's nice." 

The quiet returned. 

Leigh lifted a piece of chicken to her mouth. Her mother had them all on this extreme health diet; no sugar, nothing full fat, hardly any carbs, and no joy. Leigh knew she was only trying to keep her healthy, which she appreciated, but she just wanted cake once in a while. 

"What about you, Leigh?" 

Her eyes swivelled down to the head of the table where her father sat. He was still in his suit, salt-and-pepper hair flopping down over his forehead and humorously large watch clunking against the table with each move of his hand. 

"Yeah, fine," she said. "Although I don't know why I'm not allowed to do Gym." 

Lorrie's knife screeched against the ceramic as she sliced through her chicken. Leigh cringed a little.  

"Yes, you do," her father said. "It would tire you out too much." 

"That's the point of sport," she shot back. "It tires you out to make you stronger. Wouldn't that be good for me?" 

"No," he said simply. 

"David," Lorrie murmured quietly.

He shrugged. "I'm sorry, Leigh. Doctor's orders." 

Leigh scowled down at what was left of her chicken. She wasn't hungry anymore. 

"Speaking of," Lorrie cut in, trying to break the underlying tension. "I've made you an appointment at the hospital next week for a checkup."