Chapter 18: Ideas

Instincts play a huge part in your decisions, especially for me. My instinct told me that there was something fishy about this whole thing. I had a gut feeling that Arjun wasn't telling me all lies at this point.

He may have lied in parts of his confession to the police, but deep down, I had a feeling that he wouldn't have lied to me about the murder case. Deep down, I knew that he probably wasn't as guilty as he seemed. And I was determined to find out the truth about everything that hadn't been brought to light.

The sweet taste of the chocolate that Arjun gave me before I left is still present on my tongue. However, as I'm walking home, I'm dreading what's going to happen when I step into the door, because the incidents are going to be nothing short of sour.

I'm still in no mood to see Mason after all the shit that has happened so far. I don't feel up to it, and I just want to be by myself, looking through all the diaries. I need answers as to what the hell is actually going on when it comes to the case itself.

I unlock the door to my house, and push open the door so that I can let myself in. I close it behind me, as I hear footsteps coming down the stairs. Bracing myself for a slight lecture as to why I didn't let Mason know before, that expectation is deflated quickly when I just see that it's Sarah who's coming down the stairs. Her face brightens up a little bit when she sees me standing there, unharmed. She runs towards me and engulfs me into a hug. I smile slightly, and hug her back.

I hear her say, "Ashmita, I'm glad you're okay. I was so worried." I loosen the hug a little bit, and she looks into my eyes. "Okay, Ashmita, let's be real. I know you didn't go to Usha's house to sleep over. Where did you go? You can tell me. I'm not going to tell Mason."

I gulp a little bit. Even though I trust Sarah with my life, I don't know if I can tell her that I went to a convicted criminal's house. That's the last thing that I'd tell any of my family members. "I went to Rakesh's house," I lied, without trying to give it away so that my cover isn't blown.

Sarah raises an eyebrow, still looking suspicious, and then she just shrugs. "Fine. Let's go with that. Either ways, I'm making some Armenian food. Don't worry, Nathan's going to test it to make sure that the salt is fine so that it doesn't taste like you're eating sand. Mason will be back soon."

Great, now there's another thing that I have to dread when it comes to home.

**********

I don't even know if I can ever tell anyone about the fact that I spent the night at a convicted criminal's house. That's probably one secret that I'll take to the grave. Mason would never forgive me if he learned that I was at Arjun's house for the night.

I don't expect them to be on good terms, because Mason was kind of the person that broke my parents' marriage, so if Mason found out I was spending the night at his house, then that would be the day that I'm buried alive. But, for now, I guess it's time to start. If nobody is going to get curious about the case and uncover the potential truth, then I should do it.

I have all the advantages. I have a multitude of sources that I could use. If I have people around me, my mom's diaries, and the person who actually made me into what I am today, quite literally, then I should take advantage of that.

I don't know where to start. I don't know if I should start closer to my birth, where it could be possible that people are trying to kill me even before I was born, or closer to her murder, where she could possibly give some last minute fears on things that may be happening. There's almost always an incident that happens right before a murder that drives it.

Whether it be the fact that the life insurance is expiring the next day, the wife threatened to divorce the husband and leave, or sexual advances were refused, there's always that one incident that leads to something much more sinister. One thing that I can probably rule out is the second option, but I wonder if the other two are applicable.