Contest entry for Ultimate

I finished it

It took me a while to get it right

But

It's finally

DONE

So if you don't know, this is my drawing for UltimateFanWing 's 500 follower art contest. In this contest, we were to draw a dragon from one of her fanfictions— and I chose Wonder, from Insanity! This is a made-up scene in which Deathseeker enlarges some fireflies for wonder to investigate. Here I have 2 drawings of her, one of the entire thing, and a close up thing. As for which one I'm entering, that depends on whichever you like better/think will score better, Ultimate!

Here is the full drawing:

And here is the close up:

So. My opinion on this.

I like it? It's not what I was hoping for, that's for sure. I'm proud of the scales, specifically the ones on the face and around the eyes. I stayed as closer to what the book said, and not the actual drawings of her, but that's cause I kinda wanted to come up with my own-ish design of her. Besides, when I did the regular colors, it was too dark on my drawing for some reason. I like the fireflies, and the glow that they cast. But I do not like the shading, and I especially don't like the highlights. The background is okay, but I feel like I coulda done better. I'm also pretty disappointed in the quality of the picture, because when I transferred it from my kindle to my phone to post it, it pixelated it a bit. It ruined the quality D:<

Now, time for the process of my mind as I did this! This is also basically just a rant— if you don't want to/ don't like reading rants, we'll you have been warned my friend:

I worked really really hard on this. It's one of the hardest I've ever worked on a dragon, and that's because this time, I was trying super hard to win— or at least get second place. I saw @mindlesstyper's drawing of Deathseeker, and it is just outstanding. Far beyond my skill. The time before, I thought I did a pretty good job— and I did! I got a pretty high score, actually! But I didn't make it into the top. That pushed me to try harder— to try and win! But then I saw that Drawing of Deathseeker, and I knew I couldn't quite get there at my normal level. I would have to push myself to the limit to get there. But, I don't do very well with deadlines. So I couldn't max my shading. I'd already done the hard shading, and I wanted to go soft, but all my different tries never really clicked for me. So I decided I'd just have to go with the shading I had. It worked— the highlights were a bit strange looking, but I'd make it work! Moving on to the rest of it, it was pretty simple. Gradient the background to night sky (wait I forgot the stars—), use the glow tool to make some fireflies, hatching tool for grass, mess with a few layer things, and I finished!

But then I saw thIS—

This— this absolute MASTERPIECE by @Atlantiic_ just blew me away

This— this absolute MASTERPIECE by @Atlantiic_ just blew me away. I actually just saw it while looking up who the artist of the Deathseeker drawing was. This drawing is like a billion times better than mine. I couldn't even get there if I wanted to! I use a kindle, and the app that I use (Autodesk sketchbook) isn't even supposed to be on it! I'm already done with my drawing, which I already knew wasn't as good as @MindlessTyper's. This absolutely PHENOMENAL drawing is undoubtedly winning it, and there is nothing anyone can do about it. After the hours of drawing, undoing, and erasing, it turns out it was all for, well, nothing, really.

I guess this means I still have a lot to learn. I started drawing dragons one year ago, and I have plenty of experience to gain, so much waiting for me! While this did really upset and frustrate me, through this experience I have learned some things, and grown as a digital artist. I hope to one day be as good as this "@Atlantiic_." And maybe, just maybe, one day I will.

END OF RANT

Well, if you read my rant, thank you for listening to me yodel on! If you didn't, that is a-okay too!

I hope u like my drawing!
Rushwing- OUTSKIDOODLES