✩ PRETZEL STICKS & TRICKS ✩

Start from the beginning

Frank rolled his eyes, gathering his things and putting them under his arms as he walked to the living room.

And as if on cue, there was a knock signalling Gerard had arrived.

Frank quickly shoved Bob away from the door using his crutches, making the man curse.

Frank opened the door as quick as he humanly could, his mouth falling agape in a silent gasp as he took in Gerard's appearance. Well, he definitely wasn't wearing pyjamas.

Instead he had obviously done his hair up and he was wearing a nice shirt with a few colourful designs with a black denim jacket on top.

"Hey," Frank whispered, barely getting a second to process his own words before he was once again taking in Gerard's appearance.

"Hey, loser." Gerard responded with a small smile.

"You look... really nice." Frank managed, flickering his eyes up to Gerard's pretty ones, watching a certain timidness spark in them as he smiled lopsidedly.

"Wow, you tryin' to be smooth with me now, Detective?" Gerard asked as he crossed his arms.

Frank shrugged with his own smile, "Don't want you butchering my body in the back of your car or anything."

Gerard scoffed through his smile, "Killing is more of a third date kinda thing. Besides... I forgot my plastic tarp tonight."

Frank raised an eyebrow, making Gerard laugh before shaking his head. "I'm kidding... you um. You look nice too."

Frank gave him a weak grin, glancing behind him briefly to where Bob was still sipping his beer. Frank nearly flipped him off when Bob winked, blowing a kiss in their direction before he ventured off into the kitchen.

"I uh, I have a few things for our... date." Frank awkwardly mumbled out, turning his head back to look at Gerard. He wasn't exactly used to honeying his voice like he was, but if it made Gerard's face soften the way it was right now then he would keep doing it.

"Okay," Gerard smiled again, "Where are we going?"

"I was hoping you'd wanna go to that movie festival... thing... uptown." Frank said, studying Gerard's expression closely.

Gerard's face immediately lit up like one of those stupid cactus lamps Ellie always kept in Bob's room.

"I love movie festivals." Gerard said happily, making Frank internally thank Mikey a million times.

Frank smiled at his excited expression, "'M glad. I uh, also have pretzels."

Gerard grinned even wider. "Damn, I kinda like the smooth version of Shitero."

Frank didn't respond to the backhanded compliment, instead reviling in Gerard's excited eyes, feeling more than proud of himself.

✩ ✩

Frank felt like he had died and somehow left this world behind entirely. And for the first time, he didn't mind.

Everything was so different but Frank found himself liking all of it. He found himself not minding the cold breeze that brushed against his skin, he didn't mind that Gerard muttered insults at the actors on the screen every two seconds... and he didn't mind sharing a blanket with him either.

They had found a more secluded spot towards the back of the wide lawn where the movie festival was being held, and Frank preferred it that way. Only because he could see groups of teenagers getting it on and if he wasn't technically still on medical leave he definitely would have told them to fucking cool it with the indecent exposure.