Chapter 15 - Two Steps Back

Start from the beginning

"Good morning, my queen," I answered as I lifted her hand and kissed it just like earlier. And like that first time, she was unable to hide her gasp. Whenever I touched her, it sent heat down my spine. Judging from her reaction, perhaps she felt the same.

She met my gaze now and her jaw dropped. Red stained her cheeks as she stared at me. Was that desire in her eyes? She bit her lip and that was almost my undoing. Seeing that look sent another jolt of heat down my spine and had blood pooling southward. I coughed and readjusted myself in these damned tight trousers.

She quickly looked away and my confidence faltered. Perhaps I read her expression wrong?

"Is there something wrong with the way I am dressed?" I asked. She visibly swallowed. "No."

"What is that?" she asked, pointing at the brown bag I was holding. "Your lunch. The servants prepared this specially for you. They have never done this before so they were very excited. I hope it is to your liking," I explained as I handed her the bag.

Her eyes went wide. "Wow. This is like a five-star restaurant take out!" She giggled as she eyed the contents.

"I'm glad you approve."

"Please thank the staff for me. Please tell them I've never had lunch like this before," she said.

"That will make them very happy," I answered with a smile. "Shall we?" I offered her my arm and she looked at it, biting her lip.

"What's wrong?" I asked. She shook her head and took my arm after several more seconds of hesitation. "No. It's just that boys offering girls their arm when walking isn't exactly popular nowadays. Holding hands is more common," she explained.

"Like this?" I asked and reached for her hand and intertwined our fingers. I inhaled at the unfamiliar feeling that suddenly bloomed inside my chest. This just felt so right.

I heard her sigh. "You look like a normal mortal now but you speak and act like someone plunked you out of the middle ages and dropped you here. It's a big contradiction."

I laughed and squeezed her hand. "I was asleep through most of the middle ages so I can't really say I have great knowledge about how mortals behaved then." Her eyes widened yet again and her mouth opened and closed as though she was trying to find the words to say. She decided against saying anything and we walked silently towards the gates of the palace, her hand still in mine.

My chariot and four horses were already waiting for us outside. I watched my queen's expression change to one of awe. "They're beautiful," she told me. Her hand reached out but she quickly pulled it back.

"You can touch them. They would never harm you."

Her resolve renewed, she reached out shyly and touched one of my stallions. It leaned closer to her hand as though wanting more. The other three stamped their hooves as though complaining about the unfair treatment. She laughed and stroked their manes as well.

Just like me and Cerberus, my queen won over my stallions the very first time they saw her.

"Is this what we're riding to school?" she asked. "Uhm, Hades... This isn't really what people use for transportation anymore."

I grinned. "Oh don't worry. I've planned this through."

I summoned my magic and snapped my fingers. Shadows engulfed the stallions and when it cleared, they transformed exactly into the sleek black car Leandro informed me of earlier. My queen's eyes went wide as saucers. "Whoah!" She whistled as she touched the hood of the car. The engine revved in response.