Whatever it is, Meiyou is determined to overcome it.

•••

Ah Xian plays his Chenqing to the steady rhythm of Little Apple's trodding, the melody gentle and familiar. Beside him, Lan Zhan grips the donkey's reins. Ah Xian watches through the side of his eye as Lan Zhan's attention perks, his chin raising as the song becomes more familiar. Lan Zhan looks sharply away again, silent. Ah Xian smiles through his flute.

Ah Xian is so busy playing his Lan Zhan tune that he doesn't even realise he is about to be ambushed.

Until a dozen men jump out of nowhere and lunge onto his path, surrounding him, gripping homemade weapons of steel, their faces torn into growls. Bandits. They cage Ah Xian in and cut off his path.

Ah Xian stops in his tracks, caught off-guard. He lowers his flute.

Really? This is happening now?

They all wear black robes, but the leader wears robes of deep blue. Every one of them are scruffy, but the leader has hands bejewelled in silver. The leader steps forward and grins slyly at Ah Xian.

Ah Xian barks a dry laugh.

"Hey—whatcha laughing at?" The leader demands. "I betcha didn't think this was going to happen to you, did ya?"

"You're right, actually," Ah Xian drawls cynically. "I really didn't think this was going to happen to me."

"Well, that's whatcha get for travelling alone, ya idiot—now, give us the donkey, the money pouch and the bag. And I promise ya, no harm'll come your way."

Ah Xian laughs louder. It sounds hysterical. The leader looks caught off-guard at his laughing.

"Ohh.... wow..." Ah Xian wipes tears from his eyes. He turns and stares around him, at the men who've obviously done this all their lives. They're not very professional, though. He grins, lighthearted, "I-I applaud you people. I really do." He claps for show. "Bravo! See? Fantastic job surrounding me like this unnoticed. Clearly, you're very good at the sneaking-up and clustering-around-the-victim move. Tell me—what's the secret? Is it your shoes? Do you wear luxury-brand shoes that don't make noise on this dirt path?" Ah Xian frowns coyly. "Well... I mean, they don't look very luxury-brand."

The leader glares back at him, "I don't know what nonsense you're spewing! But don't say I didn't warn ya."

He gives some kind of signal, and all at once the dozen men charge forward, their weapons raised. They beeline for Ah Xian like a pack of wild animals. But it seems to happen in slow motion, for all he cares.

Ah Xian scoffs a laugh. Idiots.

He raises his flute to his lips. His eyes flutter closed. When the song pours out of his instrument, time seems to stop entirely. He isn't aware of the notes he plays, or the spirits he summons—he simply follows his gut.

His eyes are still closed when he hears the screams.

Men clawing and cursing and shouting with surprise. Ah Xian especially tunes in to the sound of the leader scrambling out of the way, demanding one of his men what the heck is going on. The words black magic and curse and deities stream into the air, followed by tortured screams. Still, no one says his name.

They must really be idiots.

"Brother Wei!"

A familiar voice rings suddenly into the air, tearing Ah Xian from his focus. That... that sounds like....