Chapter 6

I didn't want to admit that I have feelings for him. Especially after the last relationship I had experienced. The intensity of these feelings is far more difficult to ignore. How can he have such effects on me, a man I barely know?

The only things that I know are that he's a painter, the Medicis are one of his patrons, and he's contributed to painting the frescoes of the Sistine Chapel. All of which is information that I have is basically from documents my father has researched over the years and things he has yet to do.

I don't believe in love at first sight. What I feel is not love. This is just an attraction and I'm having a hard time containing it because men usually don't impress me right away. What does he do that impresses me anyway?

Despite travelling a day before the festival, we still didn't manage to see the beginning of Calendimaggio. After the parade, Franzia and I went back to where my Aunt Simona and Botticelli are to watch the games.

The first game is a tug of war. Franzia was telling me something about the 2 factions competing but I was too distracted by the way Botticelli is closely studying the movements of random people.

I started to wonder if he memorizes the muscle movements just like Da Vinci and applies them to his works later. It is at this moment that I started to notice the intensity and concentration of a painter on subjects he might get inspiration from.

It somehow reminded me of my father looking through all his books with such attentiveness, one would think his soul has somehow poured into the book and would only come back if he deems it necessary.

"Oh look! They might win!" Franzia suddenly said, bringing my attention back to her. When I look over the game, the people wearing a red doublet won. Everyone applauded and I follow suit.

In the next game is the race of tregge. Seeing as how Franzia was suddenly busy by a man captivated by her beauty, I try to get a closer look and move towards the front to see better.

Unfortunately, I wasn't the only one who thought of the same thing. Standing next to me is a grinning Botticelli. "I cannot believe you have left my Aunt Simona," I said, over the cheers of the other audience.

"I didn't leave her. She insisted on talking to her friend so I decided to watch the game." He said, looking at the men running as fast as they could with a sledge in tow. "Besides, you have left your chambermaid as well."

Guilty, I focused on watching the men wearing blue doublets win. "She's busy as well."

When everyone is busy preparing for the next crossbow shooting, knowing full well that I won't be enjoying me in the games I deliberately distance myself from Botticelli and went on the other side. I can't hear myself think or simply be myself near that man. As the game starts, I saw Botticelli treading my way from my peripheral view.

"There are far too many people around, Antonia. You shouldn't part with people you know. You might get lost." He said, his voice a little bit annoyed.

If only you knew that I'm simply running away from you in the hopes that it will alleviate the effects you have on me. "Stop treating me like a child, Botticelli."

"Then stop acting like one." He said in a low and stern voice. With my brow creases in annoyance, I walked away without thinking. Trying to think was far too difficult to do when he was around. "Antonia, wait!" He said with urgency.

Rolling my eyes, I continue walking to a less crowded space when suddenly I felt someone grab me. Everything happened so fast and as soon as I gather my wits, I saw myself on top of Botticelli. Our faces are inches apart.