Ch. 17: Fake Smile

Pine Wood didn't go very far in the playoffs, which Charlie honestly couldn't be too sad about. He'd always preferred hockey over football and state rules prevented him from playing both at the same time. Pine Wood's hockey team had started practicing back in October and the month he was unable to join them was excruciating. He found some solace in the fact that Nolan and Jude were in similar situations.

Charlie could hardly pay attention throughout the school day as he waited for the final bell to ring so he could go to practice, finally. But, even after the bell had rung, he'd need to wait another hour before the rink would open up. Back at Saint Seb, some players just went home for that break or got fast food together and loitered in some random parking lot. Charlie wondered what exactly Pine Wood did. It still felt weird being a senior in high school, but also new to everything.

Nolan soon gave him his answer during lit class. A few of the guys were going to Wendy's between school and practice. When Charlie showed up, there were only a few teammates there, Nolan, Jude, Theo, and two other guys. Charlie couldn't quite remember their names, so he tried his best to avoid having to say his best guesses.

Charlie had learned from experience back at Saint Seb that pre-practice meals should be kept to as little food as possible. Back in freshman year, he and Scott had been invited by a few upperclassmen to join them before practice at Wendy's. They'd all had large frosties, which was unfortunate because Coach DaSilva decided to focus on conditioning that practice. Everyone who'd had a frosty ended up vomiting either on the ice or just outside of the rink.

That memory filled him with a twinge of nostalgia. It'd felt so good as a freshman to be included by the upperclassmen and, before all that stuff went down, he and Scott were actually friends. Charlie tried to suppress whatever memories were resurfacing as he entered the Wendy's and ordered chicken nuggets. He'd been a bit late and the other five guys had already gotten their food and were horsing around in the parking lot by their cars. Jude and unidentified teammate #1 were throwing a football around.

Theo spotted him coming out of the fast-food restaurant and waved him over, beckoning Charlie over to him. Charlie leaned against the hood of Theo's car next to him. Theo smiled at him and they watched as Nolan and unidentified teammate #2 joined the others in their little game of catch, both having already finished their meals. Theo was still working his way through his fries.

They didn't say too much to each other at first, mostly just commenting on the athletic prowess (or often lack thereof) of their friends. Then, Charlie caught Theo swiping one of his nuggets, causing Charlie to let out an inadvertent yelp of protest.

"Here, you can have some of my fries," Theo offered, after downing the nugget in one mouthful with a satisfied smile on his face. Charlie playfully bumped Theo's shoulder with his own, but nevertheless took the other boy up on his offer, grabbing a fistful of fries. Theo tossed him one of his ketchup packets to go along with it.

"Wow, Theo, I never knew you as some to live up to stereotypes," Charlie said as he stuffed his face with fries.

"What do you mean? I don't think I've done anything particularly flamboyant recently," Theo replied, jokingly.

"No, not gay stereotypes; the other one. You're eating french fries, my guy."

"Fuck off!" The exclaimed, shoving Charlie so hard he almost lost his balance and his upper body was briefly parallel with the pavement. "God, I can't believe how corny you are."

"As I said before, you love me for it."

Theo looked like he was about to respond, but Nolan yelled from across the lot, "Hey, I think we're running late to practice!" The guys all clambered into their respective vehicles and made their way over to the rink, which wasn't that far away.