Andrei Svechnikov ft. Braden Holtby - Tell Him

A/N: Text messages are in bold

Warnings: Swearing/language, angst

Word Count: 2.5k

It was hard enough being the Capitals' star goalie Braden Holtby's little sister, but try that while secretly dating superstar winger and member of the rival Hurricanes Andrei Svechnikov. That's hard on steroids.

Things would've been a lot easier if you had fessed up to Braden already. But alas, you were sitting in primo seats in the PNC Arena in Raleigh three days after Christmas, watching your boyfriend's team shell your brother, who of course had to be in net tonight, with quality shots. Braden wasn't playing all that well, and you were on the edge of your seat, anxiously watching the action.

"Five minutes left." Your sister-in-law, Brandi, was sitting next to you, and from the look of her shoulders, the tension was obvious.

"I can't tell him tonight. He's going to be so pissed!"

"I hate to say I told you so, Y/N, but: I told you so."

As you turned to glare at her, the goal horn blared and everyone got up out of their seats to celebrate. You whipped your head back around in the direction of the Capitals' net and saw Andrei in the middle of a group hug with his teammates. He was pointing at you and grinning widely. Braden took his helmet off and stared at the scene playing out in front of him.

"Looks like you don't have a choice, honey." Brandi patted you on the shoulder.

"I told him not to fucking do that, and what does he do? He does it!" you groused as you watched Andrei high five his teammates.

"He clearly agrees with me." You didn't answer Brandi because she was right.

You met Andrei eight months ago while his and your brother's teams were playing against each other in the first round of the playoffs, but you didn't start dating until you started school at Duke. While you weren't that far away from your brother and Virginia, you were homesick, and you got Andrei's number when you met him in the spring, so you ended up calling him during your second week at school and asking him to hang out.

It was nice hanging out with Andrei. While he didn't live in Durham, he was only 30 minutes away in Raleigh, so he knew the area well enough, and he helped you settle in to life in North Carolina while you helped him improve his English (he was from Russia, and while he spent some time in the states before joining the Hurricanes, his English still needed some work). Within a few weeks, you were dating.

It scared and amazed you at the same time how fast you fell for Andrei. He was spontaneous and knew exactly how to cheer you up, making corny jokes that sucked so badly they were funny. Andrei was tired of hiding your relationship, and while you wanted nothing more than to shout it from the rooftops, you were afraid of disappointing Braden.

Braden was both your older brother and a father figure of sorts, since he was 12 years older than you. You moved to the states for high school and lived with him, his wife, Brandi, and your niece and nephew in Virginia. You loved your big brother and always confided in him about your problems, so it felt weird keeping such a big secret from him, but you did because you didn't know how he would react. While Braden never explicitly told you to not date a hockey player, Andrei was a star player on one of the Capitals' biggest rivals. And he just killed any chances of Braden's team winning the game tonight.

Tonight was the worst possible night to drop the bomb on him, but Andrei just made it impossible for you to stall any longer.

You sat with your head in your hands for the remainder of the game, even when Panik cut the deficit from 6-3 to 6-4, because the game was effectively over. Besides, you had to figure out the best way to break the news to your brother about your relationship with Andrei, and fast.