Trevor Zegras - Destined

Warnings: Swearing/language, mentions of bullying and insecurity

Word Count: 1k

You were no stranger to NTDP hangouts, but tonight was different.

You and Trevor Zegras had been friends since you were two years old and living next door to each other in Westchester. Your family relocated to Detroit during middle school, but Trevor was back in your life only a few years later when he moved to nearby Plymouth for the USNTDP. Trevor introduced you to his teammates, and you became close friends with most of them, especially Alex and Jack.

After every game, the boys hung out at Jack's house, and you were always invited. Despite being the only girl there who wasn't dating one of the boys, you never felt out of place. Your female classmates bullied you mercilessly in middle school (it was so bad that you transferred before high school), so you were more at ease around boys. The NTDP boys were especially great; they were so supportive of you and couldn't care less about superficial things like your glasses or how much you weighed.

You were expecting another normal night when you arrived at Jack's house tonight, but from the moment you walked in the door, you sensed that something was off. It didn't take you long to figure out why.

"Hey, (Y/N)!" Jack said, giving you a hug before pulling back awkwardly. "Sorry, Trev probably won't appreciate me hugging you."

"I don't under..."

"Hey, babe!" Trevor cut you off as he draped his arm around your shoulder.

You were about to shove him when he kissed the side of your head and whispered into your ear, "Just go along with it, please." When Trevor pulled away, he said a little louder than necessary, "I missed you!"

"Um, I missed you too," you replied, raising an eyebrow at him.

"Let's go get a drink, yeah?"

"Okay. See you later, Jack," you said to the boy in front of you, who had a smirk on his face.

"Oh, I'll see you two lovebirds sooner than you think," Jack replied before slipping into the crowd.

You and Trevor walked into the kitchen, and as soon as you realized it was empty, you said what was on your mind: "Okay, what the actual fuck was that?"

"I uh...well, I um..." Trevor stumbled over his words and looked incredibly sheepish, "I might have said you are my girlfriend."

"What?" You were shocked. Since Trevor moved to Plymouth, you began to like him as more than a friend, but you never revealed those feelings because Trevor didn't date (he claimed it was a "distraction").

"I'm sorry I didn't ask you first, (Y/N), but the guys were all getting on my back about how I haven't dated anyone and I was sick of it!" Trevor replied. "Once I said it, I couldn't take it back. Can you please play along, at least for tonight?"

You were hurt that Trevor was using you, but you also knew that he genuinely didn't mean to upset you; he was insecure about not dating anyone, even though it was his choice. That is why you found yourself saying, "Alright, I'll do it."

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Trevor said, and he kissed your forehead.

"You didn't have to do that, there's no one else in here," you said.

"I know. I just felt like it," Trevor replied. "Now, about that drink..." He took a can of soda out of the fridge and handed it to you.

"Thanks," you said. "Shall we rejoin the party?"

"We shall," Trevor said, grabbing your hand as you walked out of the kitchen.

Throughout the whole night, you faced questions about your "relationship" with Trevor. You let him answer all of them, and you were surprised by just how much thought he had put into it. Apparently, the two of you had been dating for five months but were keeping it low-key, and he took you out to a nice restaurant near the water in Detroit on your first date. You wished he had actually done all those things, but you refused to let yourself entertain the possibility that Trevor had a crush on you. You would've known if he had.

Before you knew it, it was time to go home, and you and Trevor walked out to your car hand-in-hand.

Just as you were about to get in your car and drive back to Detroit, Trevor said, "I like you, (Y/N)."

"Huh?" You heard him, but you wanted him to repeat it so that you could figure out what exactly he meant.

"I like you. And not just as a friend," he said.

"Are you being serious right now? You just used me as your fake girlfriend!" You were furious. It upset you to hear Trevor tell the story of your supposed relationship, and now he was making even more of a mockery out of you than before.

"I didn't mean to use you, (Y/N)," Trevor said, tears forming in his eyes, "I told the guys that you were my girlfriend because I wanted it to be true."

"So you mean it, then?" you asked. "You like me as more than a friend?"

"Yes," Trevor replied, "And it's clear that you don't feel the same way, so..."

"Who said that?" You cut him off.

Trevor's eyes bulged out of his head. "Wait...are you saying you like me back?"

"Yeah," you said.

"Really? I...I'm so happy right now," Trevor grinned, and you smiled back. "Will you be my girlfriend, for real this time?"

"Yes," you laughed, and he joined in before kissing you. You swore you saw fireworks, and it felt natural to kiss him. Maybe the universe sent Trevor back into your life because you were destined to be together.