The Elements - Chapter 8

The ride on the dragon was exhilarating. The huge sapphire-blue dragon swooped and dived through the sky, as if it was a fish in the ocean. A few of the ponies got airsickness, but being a pegasus, Ember was used to the feeling. The dragon could fly higher and faster and more smoothly than Ember ever could. The sky was darkening slowly, as night crept up to replace the day. Ember thought of Princess Luna and Princess Celestia, controlling the sun and moon as they changed positions in the sky. The wind flying past them was cool, almost uncomfortably cold, but Ember kept herself warm. She glanced at her Cutie Mark, glowing and moving as the small flame burned on her flank. The other ponies were shivering, the heat of the day quickly dissipating into the growing darkness.

"We need to contact Celestia." Frostbite reminded the ponies.

Ember was too tired to argue, "Yeah," she agreed.

Frostbite's horn started to glow with a white light, sparkling like the stars that were coming into view.

Celestia quickly answered. "Hello, I was worried that you had forgotten!" She smiled through the glow of unicorn magic.

"Hello, Princess," Frostbite said respectfully.

"What do you have to report?" Celestia asked, sounding more serious now.

"We reached the top of a mountain, and Aqua found a dragon that could fly us to the beach on the opposite side of the island."

"That's good. Make sure to contact me again when you arrive."

"Okay, Princess. Goodnight."

"Goodnight, everypony."

The white glow faded, leaving the ponies in the dark. Aqua yawned, and soon the others did, too. The ponies exchanged 'goodnights' and settled down on the cold scales of the dragon. Ember laid awake for a while longer, studying the stars in the night sky. She noticed Thunderburst sitting further down on the dragon's back, a faint glow in front of her. Ember padded over to her. The glow in front of Thunder was another communication spell, and on the other side, Ember could see Princess Luna.

"It's going well, Princess, thank you for letting me know." Thunderburst said to Luna.

"Goodnight," Luna said.

"Goodnight," Thunder bowed to the Princess of the Night, and the spell disappeared. Thunder started walking back to her place on the dragon, and noticed Ember. "Ember!" She squeaked, startled. "What are you doing awake?" She calmed herself, acting like everything was normal.

"What was that?"

"I was updating Princess Luna on our quest."

"Why?"

"When I finished Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns, Luna taught me more. They knew about my Element, and Celestia wanted Luna to teach me how to use mine."

"That's how you knew all those spells!" Ember said, putting it together.

"Yes, I'm tired," She faked a yawn, "Goodnight, Ember."

"Um... Okay, goodnight."

Thunderburst walked away, curled up, and fell asleep. She really was tired, but Ember had a feeling she was avoiding something.

Ember went back to her place on the dragon, and tried to go to sleep, but couldn't stop thinking about the conversation between Luna and Thunderburst. She finally fell asleep, but found herself in a dream.

She was in a dark space, she couldn't tell how big it was. The shadows filled the space. Suddenly a small light came on far above her, it sparkled like a star. It illuminated the area enough to show Ember that she was on a balcony in Canterlot Castle. More lights appeared above her, on top of a silky blue wave of... Something. The blue background revealed a tall silhouette of a pony. The pony had a cat-like eye, the pupil small and thin. The pony lunged at Ember, and the flowing blue followed it, like a mane. "Nightmare Moon!" Ember screamed, and woke up.