Chapter 37: What shall we do? Pt. 2

Start from the beginning

"Erwin. Here it says that according to the blood test she has the flu, but I have never seen such a bad course if this disease. When I had it I was fit again after a week, but this is more like pneumonia. Can you explain that?"

I looked at Mikasa and saw her showing me the report. Reluctantly I let go of Nina's hand and took the clipboard to read the report. It actually said that it was "only" the flu, but Mikasa was right.

I have never seen such a serious case, not even during my time as a commander while visiting the infirmary.

"No, I'm sorry. Although ... I have a suspicion, but I can't say for sure whether it's related. " Extending my arm, I handed the report back to Mikasa and she put it back where she had it before she came to my side and stood next to me with my arms crossed. I felt her look on me as if she wanted to pierce me with it.

I know I had promised her, but suddenly Nina was more important to me than anything else, even more, important than my promises that I usually never break. I wanted to stay by her side, wanted to hold her hand until she woke up, wanted to be the first one she sees. I cursed at my strong sense of justice.

"I guess you want to know what happened now, right?" I asked without looking up at her.

"How nice that you haven't forgotten how to assess the situation correctly when it is necessary. Here or rather outside? "

I sighed and looked back at Nina, who was still deeply asleep in her bed. I still felt like I was stuck in a nightmare without waking up to the prospect. I couldn't believe that my loved one was so weakened that she had to be taken to the hospital, but no matter how hard I told myself that it couldn't be true, I had the living evidence here before me, weak, sick, at the limit of her strength, both physically and mentally.

Once again I took her cold hand in mine, laced our fingers, and lifted it up before I breathed a gentle kiss on the back of her hand.

"Let's go out and find a quieter place. Nina needs her rest, and if we start arguing here, it will only harm her healing, yes? "

I was determined to do everything possible to get Nina as much rest as possible, but for now, I had to leave her alone so that I could finally fulfill my promise to Mikasa.

I just hoped I wouldn't make myself a new enemy with it.

"I agree. Go ahead. " Mikasa's tone was serious and demanding, emotionless, and cold. You can clearly tell that she and Levi are related.

I took one last look at Nina before I got up and went around the bed, aware to be as quiet as possible, Mikasa close behind me as we quietly left the room and back into the main hall of the hospital.

I looked around for a place where we could talk as undisturbed as possible, walked past rooms and nurses who worked diligently, cared for patients, and distributed medication. At first, I thought of the waiting area where I had been waiting with Mikasa, but I quickly rejected the thought because there were already other people sitting and talking to each other. Then I thought of the cafeteria, but Mikasa quickly made me forget that idea too. Too public, too many people. I didn't know what to expect in the course of the discussion and whether Mikasa was making a huge scene, so I kept looking.

It was already dark outside thanks to the wintertime, despite the still early time of 6 o'clock in the evening. So many hours had passed today that I which I was either sick with concern for Nina, or I'd spent at home trying desperately to clear up the chaos that Levi and I had left behind.

Because contrary to my expectations, Levi hadn't been home since our argument. He wouldn't last a minute in a bloodstained household that was full of broken and overturned furniture and items.

Past doesn't matter (Levi x OC x Erwin) AU/modern +18On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara