Chapter 37: What shall we do? Pt. 1

Start from the beginning

With a broken heart, you usually can't and don't want to eat anything, and if there is an illness on top of that, it's like a physical and psychological worst-case scenario.

The turmoil in me and around us grew louder, but I didn't take my eyes off my friend for a second, held her tightly in my arm, and patted her cheek in the hope of waking her up again, but she was passed out.

I was so worried that Nina could suffer permanent damage from her ruthless behavior.

My heart was racing with excitement and fear, but I kept admonishing myself to keep my cool. It doesn't help anyone if I lose my head now.

The ambulance was on the way, the manager and other athletes protected us from prying eyes, and thanks to the blankets Nina could not cool down. There was nothing I could do now at the moment.

Only a few painful, slow minutes later I heard sirens from outside, saw flashing blue lights, and it didn't take another 3 minutes as the crowds around me were pushed aside to make room for the paramedics.

"Thanks for your help. We take over from here," said the incident commander in a calm but serious voice and took my position next to Nina when I was forced to let go.

While one helper started to check and control vital functions such as pulse and breathing, two other helpers took over the supply of medication. Before I could grasp what was happening, Nina already had an intravenous access in her forearm, which was immediately connected to a drip. I couldn't see exactly what they were giving her, but I trusted in their medical knowledge that it was right for my friend. Maybe a means to stabilize her circulation? Or to lower the fever?

Who knows...

The paramedics gave each other short, concise instructions, and it was indeed as precise as clockwork. Years of experience, it seems. All the more secure and comfortable I felt knowing my friend in capable hands. All the while when at least four men and women were busy taking care of Nina, a fifth medic stayed with me and asked for any information that might be helpful for the treatment. And so I told him everything I knew, from her weak, sickly appearance until the moment she collapsed.

I exhaled in relief when after a few minutes, which felt like hours, Nina was lifted onto a stretcher to prepare her for transportation. Then I got involved again.

"One moment! I want to come with you! She is my friend and I want to know where you are taking her. " I reasoned while grabbing the commander's arm to gain his attention.

He turned to me briefly and ordered his colleagues to continue before turning back to me.

"I'm sorry, but I'm afraid you can't go in the ambulance. It is too narrow for another person and you would only be in the way while we try to treat your friend. We bring them to the university clinic in the west of the city, you are welcome to drive behind us there and wait for further information. "

"I Agree. I'll follow you then. "

"Good. But with enough distance and without hindering us. We cannot take care that you follow us. "

"Roger that."

With this, the incident commander turned around and joined his team again, which was about to get the stretcher with Nina onto the stretcher inside the elevator. I took advantage of this brief moment and sprinted into the changing room to get my things out of my locker. I still had time to change later, first, it was important to know Nina was safe and fine.

With my bag under my arm, I ran out towards the exit, jumped down the stairs as if there was a price for how many steps you could jump at once.