Nerves

I couldn't help but fidget my hands as I walked up the steep stairs to the embassy. I had only learned a few choice German phrases prior to the mission, and I could only hope that they would suffice. My long trench coat swept across the cold concrete, and I shivered from the building of nerves in my head, making my hands clammy. While I had always proved to be more than proficient in my training sessions, field work was still rather new to me. There is a vast difference from behavioral analysis controlled behind a screen in the IMF facility, and what I was doing at the moment. 

My mission was, in other words, to befriend the German Chancellor's son. Finn is his name. I would like to think that I was confident and outgoing, but IMF experience, namely the interrogation training, taught me otherwise. But, I had to put that all behind me to become a people-person, for the sake of the mission. I had become friends with Finn, but I knew my purpose was to keep an eye on the Chancellor, seeing as IMF intel had alerted us to a possible Russian mole hiding in the embassy. If our informant was correct, the mole is aiming to infiltrate the system, and pilfer away German money before they noticed it was even gone. How was this an American matter you may ask? Well, once the money had been successfully rerouted, it was to be used to purchase a dark database containing the names of every undercover and surface level agent from every country. Seeing as every government has a deep undercover agent in any part of the world at any given moment, you can see the havoc that could ensue with the exposing of every government agent. 

I shook my shoulders a little as I entered the embassy, the result of my fidgeting. I was to meet with Finn in his Father's office, to do Lord knows what. As our friendship began to bloom, I learned Finn was a tad bit of a wild-child. Often pulling pranks around the embassy. Which I assumed is what was on the menu for today. But as I entered through the tall glass doors, I felt as through something was off. The guards standing by the doors seemed a little rough around the edges today. Usually they were clean cut and continuously smiling, (one of the reasons I enjoyed Germany so much). But today their beards were rough, and their mouths downturned. I had a feeling something was wrong, but I couldn't put my finger on it. They looked distracted, and didn't respond as I cheerfully greeted them. I shook it off and kept walking further into the embassy, however with more caution and my brows slightly furrowed. As I arrived at the Chancellors handsome polished oak doors, I paused. Something was definitely a muck, I could almost feel it in the air. I reached my hand out for the knob when I heard voices inside the office. 

Quickly I went down on my knees, pretending to tie my shoe and I leaned closer to listen in. From what I could tell, two men were talking in deep raspy voices. And they weren't talking in German. I pricked my ears and made out a phrase I did know. And it chilled my blood to hear that it was in Russian. One of the men had said, "Я почти сделал это." Which in my rough translation is 'I almost did it'. Frick, I thought to myself, am I too late?

I suddenly became hyper-aware of the sound of squeaking shoes behind me. It sounded like they were trying to be quiet but the rubber soles weren't allowing it. I took a deep breath and whipped around while simultaneously jumping to my feet, meeting the eyes of the guards I had passed before. I narrowed my eyes, betting all my marbles that they were Russians too. The guards shared a look and then jumped at me. I widened my eyes in that split second, I was not in a good situation at the moment. One reached out and grabbed my arm, to which I responded by whipping it around and grabbing his hand, causing him to fall hard on his back. I turned to the other as he tried to sucker punch me, I ducked and kicked the back of his knees leaving him on the ground too. I turned and wrenched open the Chancellor's door to see two started men holding a flash drive. I narrowed my eyes. 

"Hand that over" I spoke calmly while reaching out my hand, trying to quell the nerves bubbling up beneath the surface. 

They smirked at me, and I noticed as one looked to the other for guidance. Ahh, I thought, the inferior looks up to the dominant. This reminded me of my basic profiling training, some BAU action. I sweetly smiled back, knowing that if the dominant was in trouble, the inferior would do whatever they could to save him, seeing as their bonds were strong. They could even be brothers or related in some other way. 

I pricked my ears at a creaking behind me and kicked the doors shut without turning around. Hearing the guards smack their faces against the doors they were trying to open quietly. The two with the flash drive narrowed their eyes and took a step closer, but I was already running toward them, yanking off my scarf as I went. I was shocked at my fight or flight response, but I guess my conditioning always indicated fight even as much as I wanted to run away. I got to them and kicked one hard in the chest, hearing the oof as he fell. The dominant I assumed, then pulled out a six-inch dagger. My blood went cold when he started swiping at me. I jumped on top of the Chancellor's desk, dodging the gleaming knife. Knifes had always made me uneasy, but at least it wasn't a gun I thought, seeing as the IMF didn't allow me to carry anyway. I kicked a cup of pens at him, but he dodged it and slashed my ankle. I grimaced, feeling blood already pouring out. I was losing this battle, as I watched the inferior get back to his feet pulling out a dagger as well in the hand that wasn't holding the drive. Then I remembered the scarf in my hand and leapt toward the advancing Russian twisting it around his neck, pulling his back to my chest. 

"Drop it" I snarled at what I hoped was the inferior. His knife fell to the floor as I twisted the scarf tighter. I would never actually suffocate him, I just needed him to think I would. I would never actually kill anyone if not absolutely necessary, I frowned upon that stuff, it made me feel terrible, while my soon to be team members could do it easily. 

"Now give it to me" I said calmly, the man started walking closer, his eyes darting down to the one I was choking. Then suddenly as he approached, the dominant Russian swiped my wrist with his dagger, making lose my grip as he started running towards the door. I tumbled from the top of the desk hitting my head on it as I went down. I got on all fours, dizzy, with my vision swimming. Blood was all over my hands but I pushed myself up and started chasing them out the door, favoring the ankle that had been slashed too. The four men had rejoined and were running towards the grand doors. Where is everyone else? I thought frantically as I followed, sliding on the marble, leaving drops of blood in my wake. 

As they reached the doors, one of the Russian guards pulled out his gun and aimed it. I ducked as he took aim and shot. The bullet lodging into one of the marble pillars behind me. I kept following, frantically dodging bullets until one grazed me on the shoulder, ripping through my layers of clothes. I hissed through my teeth but kept going. They exited the building and started racing down the steps, headed toward a sleek black car pulling out in front of the embassy. I knew I was too late, but I kept going, going down the stairs as fast as I could. The men made it to the car and laughed as they got in and it started to peel away. I followed it into the road, yanking a tracker out of my pocket. I clicked it hard, activating it and threw it as hard as I could at the car. It hit the bumper and stuck, I sighed, at least I could follow the car for a ways now. 

I was oblivious to the screeching tires behind me, and turned too slow as another black car rammed into me. I yelped as I fell to the concrete, my head hitting the ground with a sickening thud. My vision was swimming as someone with shiny black shoes stepped in front of my head. I heard a low chuckle, as black dots started to form in front of my eyes. Then another shot was fired, and I looked down to see a dart lodged in my side. I twitched as my surroundings started to fade into darkness...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey!! Tell me if any of my grammar is wonky, and let's get on with the story! :)

-R