7 - Atlas

Waves crashed against the rocking boat, striking the tenacious metal that lurked beneath the sea line. Water collided together, arising to form a towering wall before bursting apart and plunging back into its steady rhythm.

The swaying of the boat caused my stomach to churn in discomfort. I wasn't necessarily seasick but due to the violent waves that vigorously launched the boat side to side, nausea swept over my body.

Staring out into the distance I saw nothing but the raging sea that propelled its waves left right and centre, destroying everything in its path. No land could be seen causing my heart to drop into my stomach.

With no sanctuary to keep us safe anywhere near us, we were just going to have to endure and hope that our vessel doesn't submit to the desolate sea that surrounds it.

We are currently on our way to Italy. All for different reasons but I was a journalist; I was sent to Interview some celebrity on another scandal that has risen but I was more excited about seeing the views. Italy was truly a beautiful country and I had always dreamed of visiting it. Now was my chance.

There were 7 others on the small boat with me, not including the captain. I had never met them in my life and haven't socialised with them as of yet for two reasons. Firstly, I don't enjoy socialising with people unless it is required of me, like my job, and secondly, I have had no reason to speak to them as of yet.

The sea had begun to soothe slightly but the dull rumble of thunder continued to resound through the dismal sky.

The sound of a scream ripped through the air, draining out the sound of the thunder. My head snapped in the direction of the sudden sound in alarm. Subconsciously my feet took me in the direction of the scream until I ended up in one of the cabins.

A woman stood hunched over a body on the floor. Her hands covered her mouth, tears leaking from her eyes. My eyes squinted trying to examine the body. A crimson glow from his torso caught my attention.

It wasn't until then that I realised that the man who was on the ground was indeed dead. Pounding footsteps came from behind me before two more men ran into the room.

"What the hell is going on?" One of the men questioned. His chest rapidly moving up and down from running here.

"Tommy... My Tommy. Oh god... How could he leave me." The woman screeched between sobs, her body shaking.

More footsteps could be heard before a couple entered the room.

"Is everything okay? We heard a scream." The woman spoke, genuine worry laced in her voice.

"Someone was killed." I forced out, my voice was slightly shaky from the shock.

Gasps and murmurs were heard from around me, everyone confused at what was happening.

Glancing around I counted.

The couple that just walked in... 2

The two men... 4

The woman who is crying... 5

The man who is now dead... 6

Me... 7

7

There were supposed to be 8 people...

Where was the 8th person?

As if on cue another man walked into the room. As soon as he walked in the atmosphere dropped causing everyone to turn to him in silence. He held a different aura to the others. It was somewhat dimmer. His sharp eyes drifted towards the body before turning back to stare at me.