22. Leaving Tennessee

Start from the beginning

"Hello?" Tony answered.

"Hey, Tony. It's Lucy." She began looking around for the keys to the truck.

"Lucy? Where the hell are you? I thought-"

"I know. Look, I'm in Tennessee with your kid friend. What I need to know is-" before Lucy finished her question, she pulled the visor down causing a pair of keys to fall into her lap. "Okay, nevermind. Hey, question, what's new?"

"I'm older than you-"

"Last time I remembered, I was born in 1918."

"Well because of your physical age, you're younger than me. So how about you answer my question - what happened to you?"

"Something caused the jet to go down. There weren't any missiles." Lucy turned the truck on and averted her eyes to the inside of the diner to see Rumlow look outside and stand up before trying to make his way to the door. The Agent handed the phone to Harley who began speaking with Tony as an intermission as Lucy put the truck in reverse, backing out of the spot before putting it back into gear and driving away as Rumlow got out of the building. Harley handed the phone back to Lucy.

"Good Lord. Never try and steal a car or truck where the owner can see it happen."

"Well, at least you have some way back to the city. Back to the jet."

"Right. I looked at it, and before it went down an engine went out. Everything looked fine outside besides the engine. I'm guessing it had to do with Ultron."

"Actually, he's not on his own anymore."

"What?"

"I have to go. Look, you'll see when you get back to New York. Talk to you later, Lucky."

"Tony, wait-" The call ended there. Lucy groaned in frustration as she tossed the phone to Harley. There was a few seconds of silence. "You need anything from the garage? We're heading in that direction anyways. I'll drive by it if you don't."

"The potato gun?" Harley suggested in question. Lucy nodded looking at the road. She pulled up to the garage putting the truck in park as Harley began to get out.

"Bring anything you think you might need. I can write an email to your school while I wait telling them that you're moving." The twelve year old nodded before closing the door and walking into the garage. It wasn't long before Harley walked out of the garage and back to the truck. The two began their adventure to New York after Lucy finished the email. It took about four hours just for them to leave Tennessee. It was about 10 o'clock when Lucy began to drive into D.C. She looked into the mirror to see Harley rubbing his eyes as he laid in the backseat before looking back at the road."Hey, Harley. Ever seen D.C.?" Lucy asked.

The kid sat up as he answered, "No."

"Then look out the window." Harley did as she said and moved to the middle of the truck between the front seats and looked out the windshield. He looked around in awe as they drove through, neither him or Lucy saying a word. "And that was the nation's capital. Thank you for choosing Lucy's Travel Service, the service that helps any kid get out more." Harley began to laugh as he sat back in his seat, Lucy smiled.

"Did you just make that up?"

"I did indeed." Harley calmed down from his laughter. He began looking at the various items that were on the floor. He picked up a magazine and began to look through it.

"Light on the reading, but this has some interesting photos," Harley stated about the magazine. "....Holy crap!"

"What?" Lucy questioned in curiosity. She took a quick look in the mirror noticing the magazine was a porno. "You know, that isn't for kids, Harley."

"I know, I know, but... how are those even real! Like, how do their shirts even fit?"

"Just get rid of it, kid."

"Hold your horses. I wanna see what all the fuss is about... Oh. Why are these all stuck together?"

Lucy kept her eyes on the road, "Um..." Harley laughed at her reaction.

"I'm just messing with you." He pretended to put the magazine away, but snuck it in one of the backpacks not caring who's but know Tony would want the magazine. Harley continued looking at the things. He pulled out a manila folder from underneath the drivers seat. "Huh. What's this?" The front of it showed a Hydra symbol, no words on the front besides Classified. The kid began looking through it finding a paper with mission instructions on it. A couple pictures fell out onto the floor. Harley read the paper before bothering with the pictures.

Operation K.C.A.L.L.
Mission runner: Rumlow, Brock

Rumlow,

It doesn't matter if you execute Captain America and Lady Liberty in public or in hiding, just do so. Nick Fury will be killed by the Winter Soldier, so the two soldiers won't have anyone to protect them. Do your best, and do not let them get away.

Alexander Pierce, April 2014

The rest of the paper had information from Lucy and Steve's S.H.I.E.L.D. files. Harley picked up the pictures off of the floor and looked at them. They were various photographs that had been taken of Steve and Lucy either separate or together, on a mission or in the public. They were taken from hidden places.

"Hey, Lucy?" Harley asked aloud to the brunette driving.

"You got rid of that magazine, right?" Lucy asked in reply not knowing whether the kid did so or not. She looked in the mirror as he nodded "yes". "Good. Now, what did you want to say?"

"There's a folder back here that has pictures of you and Steve in it along with a mission dated back to April of this year that I'm assuming this Rumlow guy was given."

"Oh, Jesus."

"Is he a bad guy?"

"Yes, and also a pain in the ass."

"How so?"

"Let's just say, he and I have had a history since Steve and I moved to D.C. And I will tell you one thing, it's something I, even Steve, regret."