Prologue

Silence is the loudest thing a human can experience. All the unwanted thoughts flood into your mind and cloud over any positivity until you're left with nothing but sadness. The words in your head are so loud that it blocks out anything else. No matter how hard you try, the thoughts always win and corrupt your mind, until you feel nothing.

But your past doesn't define you. At least that what the school counsellor told him and the therapist told her. They were both broken souls waiting to be fixed, but little did they know that they could fix each other.

8th September 2019:

Eleanor Jane Hopper tossed and turned in her queen sized bed, feeling nauseous and she knew exactly why.

Today was the first day back at school.

Eleanor hated the first day back, well, she hated school all together. But there's something about the first day back after summer which just sends her anxiety through the roof.

She turned to check her clock, it read 3:15am. It was unlikely that she would get much sleep so she sighed and closed her eyes, trying to calm her thoughts which were currently going haywire.

Eleanor was a very anxious girl anyway, that was just how she was. Always worrying about things she didn't need to worry about and struggling with the most basic things just because of it.

At age 13 she was diagnosed with Anxiety and Panic disorder. She's been going to therapy for about a two years and it has really helped her. But there was still something about the first day back which just turns her stomach.

Eleanor's father was the Chief of police in the town of Hawkins, Indiana, where they lived. So naturally she always worries about him due to his line of work. If he stays late she always waits for him to get home before she can sleep.

Jim had to raise her on his own because Terry, El's mom, died in a horrific car accident when El was seven years old.

Since that day, something in him switched. Like he was followed by a grey cloud which brought his mood down whenever it got the chance. He felt like he was in a cave he didn't know how to get out of. But he pushed all that aside to raise his daughter who he cherishes more than anything in the world.

The same daughter who was battling her own demons and trying to sleep, despite the overwhelming nausea she felt.

She managed to fall asleep around 5, allowing her to get about 2 hours sleep before she had to be up for school.

El groaned as her alarm went off and she opened her eyes, immediately being blinded by the sun shining through the gap in her curtains.

Once her eyes had adjusted she got up and threw on some clothes. She wasn't feeling particularly inspired to choose a nice outfit so she chose some black leggings, a t-shirt and a light grey hoodie. Her bag was already packed from the night before so she didn't need to worry about that so she headed downstairs for breakfast, not that she'd eat anyway.

El could hear her Dad rushing around downstairs looking for something (he had a habit of losing things). Usually it was either his keys or his cigarettes.

"What have you lost this time?" El chuckled as she reached the last step.

"Keys." He replied, checking under the couch cushions.