10. Distraction

The blood pumping through my veins was on fire as it rushed to my head, heightening the ringing in my ears and blocking out any other noise. My heart wanted a way out of my chest with its increased beats, each thump more and more painful. My fight-or-flight moment.

I inched my toes closer to the edge, my trainers gripping to the metallic ledge. The drop was further than I imagined. I peeked at the tarmac below and fought the urge to scream and turn back. There was no turning back now.

The chilly morning air bit at my nose and with my hands clamped around the barrier on either side of me, I couldn't rub at it to soothe the dull ache.

I wasn't scared at that moment; I was absolutely petrified, but I had made my choice and that choice was to...

JUMP!

My stomach dipped as soon as I plummeted towards the ground and I hated my decision. My adrenaline spiralled fast and saliva thickened in my mouth. I wanted—no, needed—to vomit.

My eyes wide, the colours blurred together but were so much brighter than a few moments ago.

I loved my decision. A split second was all it took for the initial fright to vanish. My fingers gripped the rope tighter while I glided through the skies above part of the city. The wind whipped the hair, peeping out of my helmet, around my face, but it didn't bother me.

I was free.

My lungs, burning from my screams, struggled to allow enough air in and it left me breathless and almost giddy.

The end came all too soon. Firm hands clasped my shoulders and undid my harness while I stayed rooted to the spot. Once released from my restraints, I hunched over, clutching above my knees, and laughed.

I glanced towards the metal tower in the distance, struggling to see Matt, but in mere minutes, he stood in front of me.

"That was fucking crazy," he panted. Matt pulled me to him and rocked us side to side, laughing just like I had done moments before.

"Wasn't it the best? I want to go again." I peered up and smiled at his awestruck expression. The light brown of his eyes brightened the greying sky surrounding us. A ring of gold circled his irises, and I stared into them, forgetting my earlier nerves.

"No, I can't do that again. I wanted to chunder." He removed his helmet and passed it to one of the event organisers. "Let me take you out for lunch. You paid for the zip wire, so let me treat you to this."

"Actually, I charged it to my dad's credit card," I said as I stepped out of his embrace. "But lunch sounds amazing right now. I'm starving." The warmth of his arms enveloped my body long after they left me.

When Matt had picked me up earlier that morning, the nagging voice in the back of my mind repeated how I was making a massive mistake by spending more time with him.

He pulled up at my house ten minutes early and stood against his car, waiting until I was ready. He wanted to introduce himself to my parents, but I freaked out and asked him to stay outside. I rushed to finish my makeup, my hands shaking as I traced the black eyeliner on my eyelid. Cursing at the wobbly line, I wiped it away three times before I got it right. It wasn't even a date yet the anxiety snaking through me was almost on a par with what I felt as I climbed the steps up the thirty-five-meter tower that led to the zip line.

My mother hovered by the window near our front door and commented on how good looking he was and asked why he wouldn't come in for a quick cup of tea. I kissed her cheek and assured her she would get to meet him soon. After I shut the door behind me, I asked myself why I had even made that promise.