Part.4

"You want me to what?" Deku backed away, almost scared of the man walking up to him.

Overhaul held a syringe that was filled with a cloudy, grey fluid. "I just want to test it and you're the only one that can do this."

"Can it kill me?" He asked.

"Probably."

"What?!" Deku ran to the other side of the lab.

"Take it easy. It was a joke."

Deku grabbed at his pounding chest, "Not a very funny one."

"Yeah. Which is why I never make jokes." Overhaul stalked closer to the boy, "Have you heard of my trigger drug?" Deku shook his head. He was usually left in the dark when it came to this Yakuza business that didn't involve him. "It's a quirk enhancing drug that I created. And I just want to test if it'll enhance the senses or abilities of a quirkless host. Better eye sight, greater speed, more strength. Things like that."

Deku gulped, he's never been offered drugs and taken them before. Especially one that he had to stick in his veins with a needle. "I don't feel too comfortable shooting myself up with that. What if I mess up?"

"I'll do it for you. Nothing to worry about. If it doesn't work then it doesn't work." Truth was, Chisaki didn't really know if that was the case. He was saying anything at this point to get Deku to agree with taking the drug.

The boy bit his bottom lip trying to think of what he should do. Little did he know that he didn't really have a choice. So far, he's just been making all the right decisions and not forcing Overhaul's hand. "Alright, I'll do it."

"Smart answer." Deku lifted up his sleeve, and revealed a vein that bulged from the crease in his arm. Not even with a warning, Overhaul stuck the needle in the vein and injected the drug. "It'll take a few seconds to kick in. Just tell me if you feel any different."

"I thought you hated quirks. Why do you want regular people to pretend that they have powers?"

Overhaul shook his head, "It's about more than just that, Deku. Power is key. In this society everybody wants to be strong and play hero. It's sickening, but it's the world we live in." He explained, "Before I took you in, wouldn't you have wanted a taste of that power?"

"Yeah but I would have been too scared to take drugs."

"Look at where we're standing. I know that deep down you still want a quirk, and you agreed to this because it's as close as you're going to get to having one."

Sometimes Deku hated how Overhaul could read him like a literal children's book. It was too easy. No matter how much he tried to hide his thoughts and feelings deep into the depths of his conscience, Overhaul always shined a spotlight on everything.

"My bodies kind of tingling." Deku mentioned, looking down at his trembling hands. Overhaul quickly jotted that down on his clipboard. "I don't feel much different though."

"Hm, alright." Chisaki turned and grabbed something from his desk and held his two fists in front of Deku. "Which hand is the eraser in? I don't want you to guess. I want you to try and see through my hands."

"I don't think that's gonna work-"

"Just do it!" Deku flinched at his hostile tone. "Look closely and concentrate."

Deku stared hard until his eyes felt dry but he couldn't look away yet. His eyesight was already above average, so maybe this trigger drug could help enhance it in some way. "It's not working." He gave up and rubbed his now irritated eyes.

"Let's focus on eyesight for a little longer." Overhaul suggested, moving Deku to the far side of the lab. "See that eye chart?" He pointed to the one hanging on the opposite wall. "Try reading the smallest letters."