Chapter 17: Smothering Love

With Leo driving the car, Mew, while sitting on the passenger's seat, looked out of the window blissfully as the exquisite memory of the other night played in his head. There were times he wondered what if he was moving too fast with Gulf, but he could not find a reason why he shouldn't. Gulf, was perhaps the first person who openly embraced and accepted him without any judgement which was something even his own mother has not done yet. As he still pondered upon the thought, he was struck by a feeling of how his mother may react to his confession.

He knows his mother loved him passionately and would always protect him but his mother had always been too good that she barely allowed him to experience any frustration at all. He was one of those 'over-protected' child, brought up in an environment where his mother over-nurtured and over-coddled him; indeed, that was one of the reasons he had been close with his mother; however, sometimes, he wished, he had his own space to grow individually.

Having lost in thought, when his car entered their lawn, an unfamiliar black car with slightly tinted windows glasses, crossed by his car. Although he could not see as to who the car belonged, judging by the black and white suit uniform of men sitting in the front, his entire body turned cold: he was certain that it was his father's car. Has his mother been secretly seeing his father? He hyperventilated and his heart thudded heavily as large numbers of unanswerable questions hijacked his mind; he never thought his father would ever step into their house again.

Curiously, he dashed into the house; desperate to hear from his mother. Considering the pain, he went through all because of his father, he was certain his mother would never betray his trust but it did not calm his mind. Although he adored his father as a child and had worked his entire life to impress his father; he could never forgive him: the way he rejected him two years ago.

"Maa!" He shouted for his mother and within moments, unlike any other day, his mother rushed out of her room; her lips tearing up into a smile and her eyes glittering with happiness. She looked as though she had never seen sadness in life; it was one of the happiest expressions she displayed in years and seeing her that way, Mew turned speechless.

"You're back" she gasped excitedly and dived into his chest for a hug. Taken aback, Mew embraced her asking, "What's going on, Maa?" while sniffing her hair that smelt like berries. He doubted it was his father that made her this happy.

"Let's sit down and talk" she suggested holding his hands and made him sit on the couch of the living room.

"I've never seen you this happy in so many years, Maa. Is it something to do with the black car that just left the house?"

"You saw the car?"

"Yes, I did. Are you dating, Maa?" Mew teased making his mother giggle while she sat down next to him with her glowing face. She then softly placed her palms on his thigh and asked, "Do you have any idea who that black car belongs to?"

"No, I don't. Why don't you tell me?" an excited Mew squealed, as hopes began to built inside of him thinking something wonderful might have happened to his mother.

"That was your father." She replied

What? Disappointment daunted him instantly while his hopes shattered like those of brittle glasses. He could not believe his ears. How was his father able to make his mother so happy that she was giggling like a teenager who was just asked out by her crush? He had no answer.

"Are you saying you're this happy because of that man?" he asked in utter disbelief.

"No, sweetheart... I am excited because of you!" shrieked his mother.

"Me? What do you mean?"

"Well, why don't you ask why he was here?"

"You know, I'm not interested in that man" he grumbled.