Assassin's Bride Chp29

Start from the beginning

Silence once again leaped over the fence and tip toed around them for a long while. "Then what is it that you desire?" Jayden investigated his son, already aware of his respond.

"Keep the seekers at bay. I do not need them to intrude in my affairs_" Cloud was cut off by his mother's wretched voice.

"Faith!" Rosaline gasped and rushed to the bed the instant Faith stirred and opened her eyes. Rosaline sat alongside Faith in front of her husband who stood behind her. "Oh Faith, my dear I am so sorry." the woman's voice trembled, she then took hold of Faith's cold hand.

Cloud scrutinized her as she swept her eyes around the room to locate Maynor, to find the woods. When her frantic eyes clashed with his, fresh tears sprung up in them. Rosaline moved to wipe away the tears but Faith flinched away from her tender touch, terrified.

Faith looked at Jayden then back at Cloud. "Tell me, please tell me it was a lie, a dreadful nightmare." the girl's shaky voice implored.

Cloud inhaled through his nose and remained hushed. "He_He cannot be a monster, he was my friend. Damon has always been there for me. Please Cloud, tell me I am wrong." Faith pushed her elbows on the mattress and sat up.

The assassin took in her chapped blue lips, the ghastly bruise on her ashen face, her greasy dead hair that fell on her shoulders. Those hollow deep oceans waited for him to answer, he knew he could not restrain it any longer. Cloud stood there and stared at her mindful of his wound, conscious of the blood that smeared the gauze roller enfolded around his chest.

"Please!" Faith breathed.

Cloud gave a slow firm shake of his head, eyes fixed on her face. "It was not a dream, Faith." he hissed the words impassive.

Sobs wracked her fragile frame and Faith curtained her face in her palms. "They don't exist, those vicious monsters do not exist." Cloud heard her say as she rocked her body back and forth.

"Faith dear." Rosaline called for her attention but it fell on deaf ears. Then the woman engulfed the shattered girl in her warm arms. Faith shed tears lost in her own desolated world. Lord Jayden stepped away to sit on the couch, he did not like to witness his dearest friend's daughter in such a condition. It infuriated his beast, the beast that was in a slumber for twenty years.

All of a sudden, Faith stopped, slowly pulled away from Rosaline to look straight at Cloud. Here something murderous compressed his insides, as if it extracted oxygen from his lungs. He knew the look, she had just recalled that he was one of those who swam in darkness, one of those who feasted on blood and flesh. One of those who killed for pleasure, an assassin!

Instantly, Rosaline saw the wheels turn in Faith's head and acted at once. "Faith, you must listen to me." the girl met her gaze, muddled and horror-struck. The mother glanced at her son then at his fiancé, "I_I knew your biological mother," a lump rose in her throat and Rosaline ceased. "I am your godmother."

"My biological mother?" Faith rasped, a thin line of precipitation coated her forehead.

"Yes, she died the day you were born." the lady assassin started to roll the thread around the stone.

"What happened?" Faith swallowed in consternation. 

Rosaline looked over her shoulder at her husband and Jayden comprehended the meaning. She could not do it, Rosaline did not possess the courage to divulge the bitter truth to her godchild!

"What I am going to reveal is something I never desired to inform you in such a manner. As of now you are aware that assassins exist. They live and breathe in the same air as...as you do." Jayden commenced in a calm demeanour. He had a number of cards on his palm and knew he had to turn each card with extreme caution. One wrong word could cause immense destruction.