Dramatic Vacation: Part 1

Kiran moaned, and buried their head into their pillow. They had thousands of things to work on for the Order, and yet had foolishly stayed up for three nights straight studying dark tome research, planning battle maneuvers, and generally sending their stress through the roof.

One thing led to another and the summoner was now bedridden with a bad case of fatigue.

It had gotten so terrible that Kiran had skipped breakfast in order to get some much needed sleep, and yet they couldn't doze off, no matter how hard they tried. The summoner grumbled, and closed their curtains, trying to block out the sun and then they collapsed onto their bed.

"That is the last time I pull multiple all-nighters." They moaned, hugging the raven and ginger cat plushies, based on Lethe and Naesala, that Cherche had made for them as a gift. "Alfonse and Sharena must think I'm incredibly ill. By the dragon of Askr, do I need a vacation. I wonder if that lottery I entered-"

A knock sounded at their door, scaring Kiran out of their stupor. "Summoner?" Roy called. "We've got your mail. Do you want us to bring it in, or leave it by the door?"

Kiran groaned quietly, and shifted the two plushies to their other arm. "No, come on in." They started, before stopping. "Wait, did he say 'we'?"

Roy creaked the door open and hauled in a basket of multiple letters with Feh perched on top of it. Right behind him was the princess of the Grannvale empire, and the twin of the ill-tempered prince Julius, Julia, who was holding even more letters and a cup of tea. "Summoner, are you alright? No one's seen you since yesterday, and it's already noon." Roy questioned, crossing his arms.

Kiran coughed. "It's just fatigue, nothing serious. I got it all the time back in my old world. I should be better tomorrow." They replied, stroking Feh on the head as the owl landed on their chest. "Did you two need anything?"

"Everyone's really worried about you." Julia replied, as she placed the cup of tea on the summoner's nightstand. "Roy also needed help bringing up the mail, so I decided to tag along and check on you! The tea is an herbal blend, so it should help."

Kiran sat up and sipped the tea, already feeling slightly better. "Thanks, Julia. You two are angels." They murmured, laying back down.

"Can someone go tell my twin brother that? He's been teasing me non-stop since I got out of the infirmary." Julia muttered, half to herself. "Speaking of, are you sure you don't want us to call up one of the clerics, Summoner?" Roy added. "I'm sure Lucius or Elise would be happy to help. And by far the last thing anyone needs is for something awful to happen to you."

Kiran shook their head. "I'm alright, I just need rest. You two could help me with my mail though." They glanced at the huge stack of letters. "I didn't realize there was so much of it."

Julia pulled a letter down, and glanced at it. "I believe it is mostly notes sent from your tacticians in the field." She said, putting the letter back. "Albeit there are two that look personal, one from some sort of lottery and another from a hero named Naesal-"

"I'll take those!" Kiran yelped, snatching the letters. They placed them on their nightstand, and laid back down. Julia shot Roy a strange look, he just shrugged, and then she jumped up. "Oh I almost forgot! I apologize, Summoner, but I need to leave. I promised my brothers I'd meet them in the training tower, and I'd hate to be late. Julius would never let me hear the end of it if I was." She patted Kiran on the arm. "Feel better!"

The girl ran out of the room, and Roy turned back to Kiran. "Are you sure you don't need anything?" They shook their head.

Roy nodded. "Alright, Summoner, if you say so. Someone will check on you tomorrow." He waved to Feh who fluttered over to him, landed on his shoulder, and then he closed the door.

The moment the warrior was gone, Kiran lifted up the first letter and ripped it open like a child with their presents on their birthday. "Dear Summoner," They read, as a few black feathers fell out. "I hope this reaches you in good health, as reports from the castle indicates that you've been working quite studiously."

Kiran bit their lip in slight shame, as they were in terrible health, and continued. "Near the fortress we are stationed at, there is a port town full of trading ships and merchants. I dragged Reyson down there a couple of days ago in order to go shopping, and found something you may like. It's attached with the letter."

The summoner stopped reading and noticed a package with the same address on their mail pile across the room. Grumbling, they wrapped a blanket around them, and grabbed it, bringing it back to their bed. They ripped it open to reveal a plush brown dog, with another note attached to it. "I know you like plush animals." They read, blushed hard, and went back to the letter.

"The commander told us we're leaving in two weeks and I think both Reyson and I are ready to leave now. Reyson misses his sister and I miss our conversations. I'll see you then, dear Summoner. Naesala." Kiran collapsed back onto their pillow, placing the letter off to the side. "I almost feel better already!" They squealed, placing the stuffed dog next to their cat and raven. "Okay next letter."

Kiran opened the letter from the lottery and began scanning it. "Dear Kiran. We are pleased to inform you that-" A sudden headache came on, causing them to moan and throw the letter across the room. The summoner groaned, and laid their head on their pillow, taking their hood off. "I'll talk to Alfonse and Sharena about this tomorrow. I desperately need sleep."