30. REAL LIFE

THE TWO NEWLYWEDS were excited as they walked through the adoption agency, with big hopes of expanding their small family. their hopes were set on an infant, a baby, like almost every couple that walked through those doors.

after the release of luke's fourth album (which was definitely not just twenty love letters to calum in song), they finally got married. luke proposed to calum in their hometown of sydney just a few weeks before calum had actually planned to propose, which they both found funny and decided they would always tell that story to whoever would listen.

they spent a year alone with just their dogs, and even though they loved each other's company, they wanted more; and that more was a child.

a nice woman named janice helped them with the process along the way until they were ready.

they walked in with the intentions of adopting a baby and came out with a pair of five year old twins. it all happened so quickly.

as soon as the small girl ran up to luke and asked if she could touch his hair, they knew she was the one. what they didn't know was that she had a brother, a twin brother to be more specific, and calum couldn't stand the idea of separating them.

the girl, who was more outgoing and took a strong liking to luke, was named valeria, and the boy was named daniel, but he was quiet and more reserved.

the first days were kind of tough, especially with daniel, but they never gave up on him, they knew he would eventually open up to them.

just a year with the twins and they knew they had made the right decision. they both managed to bring so much joy into their lives and anyone who met them. daniel was slowly coming out of his shell and he turned out to be the more artistic one, while valeria was the athletic one.

valeria and calum would play soccer together until the sun went down, and luke and daniel would watch them while luke strummed his guitar and daniel shyly reached for the chords. it didn't matter that he only plucked them, or that he didn't talk much, because seeing the smile appear on his lips as he plucked the strings, was more than enough.

"what? no! you cheated!" calum exclaimed, picking up the small girl who was in a fit of giggles at the action.

"no, i didn't!" val tried to wiggle her way out his arms. she was quite energetic and playful with the urge to see the word for herself.

the couple watched the two kids race each other into their house, their home, and looked at each other in admiration.

luke pulled his husband closer to his body, an arm around his shoulder and he smiled, "i love you."

calum couldn't hide the grin on his face, "i love you more." they shared a kiss and followed their kids inside the house.