Chapter 13

When I woke, I found myself wrapped up in Axel's arms under my warm bedsheets.

I held a sense of fulfillment in my body that I would never feel again. I was wrapped in my mate's arms, and as this was the final day of the process (barely a day actually - it was more like a half day), so upon falling asleep, I had allowed Axel to sleep in my bed, just this once.

Well, it was less of giving him permission than him jumping into my bed, I just couldn't see a reason to put up a fight.

As much as it hurt me, I pulled myself out of bed, shivering at my now cold waist, unnerved without the soothing touch of my mate.

My movements seemed to wake him up. He looked around, slightly startled, but once seeing me standing besides him he visibly relaxed.

He beamed at me, reaching his hand up to brush back his golden locks.

Golden locks? What was I, his fangirl?

As I watched him grin at me, I also saw the grin slowly dissipate as it seemed to dawn on him that this was the last day.

At that moment I saw true hopelessness in his eyes as he took me in, his gaze reminded me somewhat of 'puppy dog' eyes, and it made me feel the need to comfort him.

Only, I couldn't comfort him. As I was the problem.

We must have been there for a few minutes before I finally broke the silence, "You should probably start to pack up your things." I mumbled, having the force the words through my lips.

There was an awkward moment before he nodded and stood up, going over to his things, and purposefully brushing against me, sending a shockwave of sparks up my arm.

I stood watching him as he gently scooped up the few clothes he had strewn around his makeshift bed of a few blankets and a pillow, and deposited them messily into his duffle bag.

It was probably a good thing that he had to leave, I knew that without their Alpha, his pack must be going out of control without even a Beta to take charge. I briefly wondered how they were coping with that predicament.

We made our way down to the kitchen, Axel awkwardly holding his duffle bag in his hand.

As usual, the pack chef had made me breakfast, as well as for Axel and we sat down to eat.

I noticed him staring at me during my devouring of the delicious pancakes.

"Why are you staring at me?" I asked, narrowing my eyes as my gaze focused in on him.

"I want to memorize everything about you." He told me without hesitation.

I frowned, "Why?"

"Because I'll miss you."

I sighed, "Axel-"

I was cut off by a tight feeling in my chest, I hesitantly sat up straighter, wondering what was wrong when I noticed that Axel seemed to be feeling something similar.

"D-do you feel that?" He asked me.

I nodded, "It's the bond weakening."

I was glad that I had recalled the facts about the rejection process correctly, just as I had remembered, the bond had gotten stronger, as proven by the heat (despite the fact it only happened once, unlike it would for most wolves, but then again, it seemed everything about me was unusual), and now the bond was weakening.

It was then that I noticed that Axel looked scared, as though it mattered that much to him that we weren't going to work out.

Looking down at my watch, I figured we would have less than two hours before the bond was broken.