Chapter 9

I was beginning to regret telling him. He just kept on staring at me with a load of sappy devotion like he was about to burst! It was like he couldn't believe  that I was here.

And there was the questions. Endless questions that seemed to go on forever.

"How did you get so strong?" Was his latest question.

"I trained." I replied with a sigh.

There was a pause, and I leant my head back against the wall, relieved that I had some time to myself in my mind.

It didn't last long.

"What really happened to you?" He asked me.

I sighed, I guess this part was pretty unavoidable, and he had done well to hold it back for more than 10 minutes since he figured it out. 

"I dont even know where to start."

"Why did you run?" he asked, his voice trembled, like he thought it was because of him.

"Everyone was staring... I didn't know why... It was like they were digusted with me, i couldn't handle it.... I had to get away." I took a deep breath, "So I ran, i saw my reflection in some water and realised why everyone was so shocked, I came back, I didn't see the signs... all I saw was my pack dead on the ground, then Blaine came, I didn't know him but my wolf seemed to. He helped me in many ways, he helped me controll my... gifts."

"right... your gifts. Uh, how many of those do you have... exactly?" He asked, curiosity leaking into his voice.

"I'm not entirely sure... they just tend to appear when I need them." 

"When you need them?" He sounded wary.

"Yeah well," I stopped to chuckle before continuing, "this one time a group of rogues came while the families here were playing in the lake, they thought they could defeat us in the water, they had come from the south where they had plenty of aqauatic training-"

"Wait, there are families here?" Axel burst in, sounding surprised.

"Well yeah... it is a pack" He nodded, but still looked a little surprised, "Well anyway, I saw them approaching and I got into the water, I took a deep breath and swam pretty low so i could see what they were doing from below, turns out a few of the rogues had the same idea and they managed to drag me further down and I lost my breath." I looked towards Axel, shock was evident on his features "In the shock of it all I accidentally breathed in some water, but... as it turned out I could go without oxygen for a pretty long time, even with all the water in my throat."

"Guess i don't have to worry about you drowning then," He said, not even a hint of a joke in his voice.

I frowned, "You wouldn't have to worry about that anyway, and that wasn't even the best part." I shook my head, "So as I could fuction in the water, and the rogues began losing their own breath, I killed the ones around me, but then I looked up and saw that one of them was about to grab this little girl, Stacy. I couldn't do anything before they had pulled her under, they weren't exactly doing anything to her, just drowning her, which was good because all of a sudden this... burst of energy came out of me and well, it went to all my pack member struggling in the water, and then they had the same kind of resistance that I had, so instead of my pack dying.... the rogues drowned instead."

He was looking at me, I could see something swimming in his eyes, but I couldn't tell what it was. "You care about your pack?"

I frowned deeply at him, "Why the hell wouldn't I? These people have given me everything." 

He looked down for a moment, "I guess, but this isn't really what you want."

"What?" I snapped, shocked that he would think that.