Even if she knew something about the Marquise, she wouldn't tell the Shark. Truth was, Viola didn't trust anyone at Leverfort, not even the gullible Lady Livilla. She had always been wary, especially of men. After the betrayal that left her face permanently scared, any trace of trust she had left was obliterated.

Now, as she sat in that table, surrounded by people wearing masks, she felt fortunate. She too wore a mask, as effective as everyone else's, but far more menacing. And she, unlike the rest, wore it with pride. She had so many things to hide. The fact she was hiding them wasn't one of them.

In front of her, the arrival of a servant interrupted her train of thought. He was like all the rest, except for the fact he was wearing goggles. A weird item to wear during the job. He approached Prince Edison and whispered something in his ear, before stepping back and disappearing in the shadows behind.

The Prince cleared his throat and spoke in a whisper, as if he didn't want anyone to notice him. "Excuse me. Something's come up."

He stood up and discretely left the room. Viola followed him with her eyes before turning to her left once she felt the Marquise's gaze on her.

Before the young woman spoke, she knew what she would ask. "Follow him. Don't lose him out of your sight."

Viola didn't think twice. Desperate to leave that table, she stood up and exited the room using the same door as the Prince. Her hand resting on the gun that hung from her belt, she saw Edison disappearing at the end of the dark hall and followed him.

She had to be fast. Leverfort was vast and full of passages. She had become lost more than once. If he turned on the right corner or went through the right passage, she would lose him for good. Trying to blend with the shadows, she kept a considerable distance from the Prince. More than once, he turned back to make sure no one was following him. Each time, Viola was certain he knew about her presence.

As she ventured deeper into the castle, she had the growing fear that she was being led into a trap. The words of the Viscount then came back to her. Might the Marquise be trying to get rid of her? It wouldn't work. Viola had fought tougher enemies than a Prince, or even two or three. She was no shoddy pigeon. This wouldn't be her day.

She now seemed to be in one of the western towers. Looking back one last time, the Prince walked into a room and shut the door behind him. Viola remained hidden behind a column, silently considering her options. The idea of going back was a ridiculous one, since the way up had been so intricate. However, if she just barged into the room looking for trouble, she'd certainly find it.

She then heard it. Stealthy steps behind her. They were barely audible, yet she knew they were there. Her hand wrapped around the gun. She feigned ignorance, not turning back. Even though they were now closer, the steps were hardly there. For a second, she fooled herself into thinking there was nothing. But she was never wrong. Not about these things. She waited. They'd be within her grasp in a matter of seconds.

Just one more moment.

In the blink of an eye, she took her gun out, turned around, and pointed it at the man that had just appeared behind her. The muzzle pressed against the man's skin, right in the middle of his eyebrows. It took her a few seconds before distinguishing his face.

"Nice reflexes," the Viscount whispered. Hands raised in surrender, he was quite calm for someone who had a gun pointed at his face.

Viola didn't lower her guard. "Why are you here? Were you following me?"

"Of course," he simply replied. "This concerns us all, doesn't it?"

Her wounded pride spoke this time. "How did you sneak up on me?"