Loid

Loid was trying to fix his neck tie in front of the mirror, staring at himself trying to figure out if he was excited or nervous or both. It was their high school reunion after more than twenty years. A lot has happened to him after graduating high school. Loid finished his college in the states and worked there ever since as an interior designer and in the process established his small company. He walked past the dresser and reached for his hand bag. There he pulled out the invitation and touched the laminated paper from it was made. Hand written on it was his name "Louise Denver Fausto, 4-Charity," his section when he graduated class valedictorian.

Loid was different from the rest of his batchmates, he was around 5'9" that time, quite tall compared to everyone. His towering height won't impose anyone for he has that feminine angelic face. He would always have the blushy cheeks and the longest lashes that made his eyes dreamy. Girls would always swoon at him whenever he's around, but his personality was a total opposite. Loid was quite reserved and quiet which made him an enigmatic presence at school.

The timid personality of Loid came from the trauma when he was still a young boy in gradeschool, lost in a public place after he strayed away from his parents, checking the aquarium fishes in bloated plastic bags being sold there. He froze in the middle of a sea of people after he realized he was alone. Loid the kid started to cry, unable to move. His simple worry turned to terror as he looked up and only the bodies and heads of adults passing by him can be seen. He can't breathe, running out of air in terror. Loid felt a hand on his back, a boy around the same age as him and comforted him. He was crying so hard that the boy embraced him, as if protecting him from the evils of the world, till he calmed down. After a few minutes a lady appeared in front of them. "Ma!" the boy said, "this kid is lost and we have to find his parents." Loid looked up and saw the woman. She has a widow's peak, but couldn't see her face against the sun light. It wasn't long before Loid's parents arrive. Loid finally saw the face of the kid that helped him. The kid rubbed Loid's head and said "It's going to be fine."

Loid, traumatized, slowly forgot that incident that has changed his behavior forever. He became more quiet and reserved after, afraid to open up to people. Loid's walled personality will soon be breached by third year high school when he was classmate with the jock, Leo.

Leo was energetic, charismatic and easy to go with. His body defined from all the sports he's playing, especially basketball. He was called Tiny Leo, 5'5", short for a basketball varsity but managed to overcome the height difference by sheer skill and agility in the court. Leo posses the perfect face, angular jaws, supple thick lips, his nose was regal and those eyes that were charmingly piercing.

Third year, first day of school and everyone started to go to their respective class rooms. Loid was already in his, sat himself on the last seat available. The class was noisy from catch ups between students after the summer break, then the class adviser entered and greeted everyone. She asked the students to stand up at the back of the room and she started to seat and arranged the students alphabetically. "Louise Denver Fausto... please occupy the third row, fifth table, first seat" the adviser announced. Loid sat himself and looked at the vacant seat beside him, thinking he's going to spend the whole school year with this person. "Leonard Franco... seat beside Mr. Fausto" the teacher said. Loid was fixing his bag when Leo sat beside him. Loid looked at him and Leo was just there smiling gleefully to him. "Hi, Im Leo... finally we're classmates!" Loid didn't really know what Leo meant, so he forced a smile and went on to fix his things again.

Days went into weeks. Leo and Loid were just seatmates. A single nod just to greet each other, but other than that, they're just seatmates. Till the time when as one of their classmates led the prayer for the day, and everyone's hands on their lap, head bowed. Loid felt another hand atop his. His eyes were closed, as he was distracted and took a peak. Leo was holding his hand and he was deep in prayer. Loid closed his eyes again and continued praying. The day went on without them discussing about it.