Sixteen ~ First Encounter

Credit for ideas throughout this story goes to my marvellous friend field_dreamer!! So go check her and her fantastic fanfics out please!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After our brief moments of celebation after my recovery, Gandalf went about counting and questioning the dwarves on who last saw Bilbo or Aragorn and where.

"Where is our hobbit?"

"I think I saw 'im slip away when they first collared us." Nori looked concernedly up to Gandalf.

"He has thought of nothing but his warm hearth since he left home. He saw his chance and he took it. We will not be seeing our hobbit again. He is long gone." Thorin huffs about, clearly non-caring about Bilbo.

"No he isn't!" I gasp and turn to see Bilbo standing smiling behind the group.

"Bilbo!" Various dwarves exclaimed and grinned at the Hobbits return.

"We'd given you up!"

"How on earth did you get past the goblins?" Fili and Kili stood together and smiled at the small sneaky fellow.

Bilbo just smiled, chuckled a little while catching his breath and slipped his hands into his waistcoat pockets. He said nothing to answer our queries.

Gandalf stepped closer and laughed, relieved. "Well, what does it matter? He's back."

"It matters. Why did you come back?" Thorin walked up to face Bilbo and looked rather sheepish about what he'd said before.

"Look I know you doubt me. You always have and I'm no burglar or a warrior. I'll admit I miss my books, and my armchair and my garden. See that's where I belong. That's my home, and you don't have one. A home. It was taken from you. And I will help you take it back if I can." Bilbo smiles and nods, and gains appreciative thanks from a few dwarves. Thorin still looking doubtful.

As we stood around wasting time, a shrill howl sounded not too far from us.

"Out of the frying pan..." Thorin whispered worriedly.

"And into the fire. Run!" Gandalf once again started us all running down the hill. I ran with Fili and Kili, both of them taking nervous glances at me as I was running, full pelt on my recently broken and useless legs. As we ran, I could hear the wargs and Orcs getting closer. Their paws thundering down the hillside but one league behind us. I took my chance and slowed up behind Fili and Kili before running off to the right, away from the company and away from our pursuers. I slowed down and hid behind a tree. I watched in horror as huge Wargs ridden by orcs stormed down the mountainside. I shut my eyes took a deep breath and hoped beyond hope, I wouldn't be too late.

•*•Kili's Pov•*•

We ran and ran until we could no more. Jumping over and ducking under trees, we fought our way down the hill killing a dozen Wargs who caught up to bite at our heels.

"Up the trees! Climb!" Gandalf ordered us and instantly dwarves started hauling themselves up into the branches above our heads. I stood at the base of one, clasped my hands together and pushed Fili into the tree. He climbed up and I waited for Valia but I couldn't see her. She wasn't fighting so she must be in another tree. I saw Bilbo still struggling to get his sword out of a wargs head so I run over to him with wargs still coming at us, some running without noticing us there. Without one word I yank the small blade out of the dead beasts scull and push Bilbo to run to the nearest tree to help him up. Once he's safe, I look around again trying to find Valia but with no success.

"Come on Kili!" I let out a frustrated sigh and jumped up, swinging myself over a branch and climbing up higher to look for Valia. I could not see her anywhere.

We were stuck up the trees hanging on for dear life when wargs began slamming into the trees, biting and gnashing at our ankles, barely missing sometimes. The trees shook and branches snapped. Fili grabbed hold of my coat as he tried pulling himself up as the wargs ceased slightly.

As I looked out into the woods where we had run from looking for Valia, my eyes fell upon a figure of legend. The Pale Orc. Azog the Defiler. He sat atop a white warg and had scars all over his torso. His left arm was missing just as the stories say. He began to talk in Black Speech. A language none of us understand. I gasped and turned to face Fili when I heard 'Thorin son of Thrain' as I know this creature is the one hunting my Uncle.

He shouted an order and wargs came once again trying to knock us out of the trees. Slowly ours began to topple and Fili pulls me around to the side of the tree I would need to jump from. Very quickly I need to move and I fall on to a branch which hits me in the chest and winds me slightly. Fili hauls me up to ready me for the next jump. We fall into the last tree standing and we panic as we can't go anywhere. The cliff underneath us is a lethal drop if one of us falls.

I was shaken from my thoughts as a burning pine cone fell into my hands as others flew past me into the group of wargs and orcs. I catch on and launch mine down to the burning wargs. The fire creates a circle around our tree, giving some form of protection. We laugh when we see that the wargs are scared of the fire and retreat from the flames we made. I stop laughing when I remember that Valia is missing. What if she is hurt?! I look around frantically but can't search far with my eyes.

We all panic as the tree begins to topple with all of our weight. We hold on for dear life trying not to look down. Ori slips and wraps his arms around Dori's legs, pulling him down. I watch in horror as Dori slips and falls. Gandalf throws his staff down for him and thank Durin he grabs it, though they aren't safe, not one bit. None of us are. I try to pull myself up onto the tree trunk but it shakes precariously and my arms are tiring very quickly. I look up and see Thorin standing, sword in hand about to face Azog.

That's when we hear the roar.

~~~~~~~~

A/N:

(AND YOU'RE GONNA HEAR ME ROOOAAAR!!)

I had to. LOL.

Anyway guys I am so sorry this took so long, I had a bit of trouble thinking about what to do with Valia and if I should be doing other people's Point of Views.

Please let me know if it is okay or if you would like me to stay in Valia's point of view from now on...

So yeah, Vote, Comment, whatever. Thanks for reading! xx