Nineteen ~ 12 Months of Running

We ran from the ever nearing howls for months. We'd set up camp for the night, all exhausted, then be forced to move on by the threat of Azog's presence. Constantly just running and running, always with worry in our minds. It's not healthy. But, I guess the positive side to it is that they are compelling us to move towards Erebor faster.

Once again we have set up camp, quietly waiting for the alarm howl to tell us to move on. We're running low on provisions and everyone is trying their best to adjust to the smaller portions. Bombur is finding it particularly hard, the poor dwarf.

Aragorn is still overprotective of me and insists he joins Kili, Fili and I on hunting trips. We never get too far before he wants us to go back. Tonight, we need to go out again.

"Fili, Kili. Shall we?" I hold out my bow and raise my eyebrows. 

They both stand up from their log and move to grab their nesessary weapons.

"I'll go set some traps. You two should circle around the camp, we might get some hares, maybe some bird." Fili says, already sounding fed up with the routine. Kili claps a hand reasuringly over his brothers shoulder and they both look to me.

"Lead the way, Valia." Kili smiles and I turn to walk out to the surrounding trees. As I pass Thorin he looks up with a face of gratefulness and gives a nod of appreciation. Without a word, I understand he is happy we go out to hunt for the company. He would come with us but only if there were no threats around.

I'm about to shift into my wolf but a hand on my shoulder stops me. I sigh, roll my eyes and shrug the hand off.

"Aragorn, you aren't my father. You needn't be so concerned about watching me." I turn to face him and grow to his height. It seems stand-off ish but I am tired of him doing this.

"Valia, I have sworn to protect you. How many times must I remind you?" He lowers his arm and look into my tired eyes with concern.

"And how often must I remind you that you can protect me just by being with the group. I'll be fine. Just once, take a break. You need to rest." I begin to turn away when he gently grabs my hand.

"Valia, when will you realise, you are not indestructable. You need sleep, just like the rest of us. You barely eat. Since we started lacking in provisions, you never eat your share. Do not think that I haven't noticed. I did months ago, but you refuse to listen." He presses himself closer to me and holds my hand up to his chest with both of his hands wrapped around mine. His wonderous eyes never leave me.

"Why are you so concerned about me?" I whisper, trying to keep the noise away from the rest of the company.

"Because I-" I look over his shoulder to see Fili and Kili waiting so Aragorn stops talking, drops my hand and turns to look at them.

"We'd better get going." I say and walk past him, changing height as I move.

"What was that about?" Kili asks, brows furrowed.

"He wants to come with us, again. I got him to stay here, just for one night." Kili's face doesn't lighten up, he just looks at the ground in thought. "Hey, lets just get enough for tonight. If we have luck on our side, then it shouldn't take too long." I try to get Kili to look at me but he just shakes his head slightly and walks faster.