Chapter 25: Horrible Mates

A/N: This was like, semi painful to write. I have one or two chapters left to go and then a preview of the next book left. Like wow. But anyway, comment and vote! Thanks for reading! XOXO

--Viviane15

>>Image: what I picture 'Aunt' Monica to look like.<<

I just laid there, stewing in self-pity, being comforted by vampires who kept assuring me I'd get through this.

Then my mother decided to show her face. She didn't start yelling at me right away, which was a plus, but in a way her prescience just drove me in a fury I couldn't explain. I stood, ready to storm out. All in all, this was all their faults. They had made me go there (yes, I am aware it was a council decision), it was their fault I wasn't prepared to enter the modern world having been coped up in this society they built, and it was all their fault that I was freak who couldn't be happy no matter how hard she tried.

Tears blurred my vision as my mother said, "Samantha please. I came to talk. You and me."

I took a shaky breath. I didn't know if I could handle this right now. "C'mon sweetie pie, hear your mom out," coaxed Aunt Monica from the sofa she was sitting on.

I waved for her to follow me to my room. My temperature had adjusted and I felt comfortable in this little icebox. I wondered why dead wasn't out here, demanding I take the 'oh-so-promising' wolf as my mate. I opened the door--yes, door--and went to the big, plush bed, throwing myself on it. Every ounce of rage was gone. I just wanted to curl up and cry away my problems. I wished I was normal. I wished that I wasn't a freak. The door closed. "If you think I'm upset with you about the drugs I'm not."

Drugs. I wanted to snort. I had tried something once and suffered awful consequences. I'd sooner die than play with that shit again. "Okay." My voice wavered, giving away how upset I truly was.

Instantly she was at my side, stroking my hair begging me to tell her what was wrong. "Everything!" I whimpered. "My life is changing and-and what if I'm not ready? What if...what if Arrow isn't my mate? What if my wolf doesn't even have a mate? Aunt M-Monica said I'd have many, many mates in my life."

"And you will," she agreed. "Look, your birthday is just around the corner. It's the 23rd right now, the 2nd isn't that far away."

Huh. Nearly Christmas. I shouldn't be so terribly upset! "And?" If Christmas didn't raise my spirits would my birthday?

"And if your wolf doesn't proclaim her mate, then it won't ever. Maybe...maybe you should give Arrow a try."

Oh no. Not her too. I buried my face in a pillow. "Now, now, hear me out Samantha. You have many, many life times to live, okay? Arrow has one. He picked a single being he wanted to spend his life with."

"But what if I don't love him?" I demanded bitterly.

"I didn't love your father at first. We took it slow, and now? I'll be devastated when he dies. I love him. Besides he gave me the most precious gift..." she planted a motherly kiss on my temple. I didn't move. "Take it slow. Don't rule him out because the feelings aren't there. One day you'll regret it."

Thanks for the warning mother, I thought grumpily. I looked at her warily. "What about Nikoli?"

Her eyes went wide. "You mean the Prince?"

I nodded meekly. I felt a weird fluttery sensation in my belly. I really liked him, it seemed. "Honey, you've got life times to have flings with princes. I've had my share."

Ignoring the last comment I asked, "But what about now? You've been disowned!"

"Hon. I've been disowned from that family at least sixteen times since the colonization of the New World, okay? Not to mention the fiasco in England..." She shook her head, thinking about to something she'd never really told me. "The point is, after your father dies, we'll go to Greece and they'll accept us back again. Just like always."