Chapter 7 - It's Not Over

“Hello, Cassandra.”                      

The voice surprised me so much. It was Dahlia’s. Dahlia was a friend of my mother, also a witch. But it was too dangerous for her to be around me, I could hurt her. “Don’t come closer. I don’t want to hurt you,” I told her, but she didn’t budge and went closer to me instead.

“It’s okay. I can handle you. I know what you are,” said Dahlia. Wait, she knew? “I know who did this. I know who had done this to your family.” She knew who killed my family. How? I thought I was the only one who knew him.

“And I am here to help you avenge their death.”

*Klaus’s POV*

The night had been exhausting. Mother had tried to kill us and failed. I had to thank Elijah and Cassie for ruining the plan. After the event, almost everyone left. Finn, of course, had left with our mother; Kol just fled and Elijah was about to leave. Rebekah, on the other hand, hadn’t even returned from wherever she was—I didn’t even bother to remember.

I was burning the sketches of Caroline that I had drawn. After the ball, I started to think about her, although I hadn’t stop thinking about Cassie either. I wanted Caroline to be my distraction—I had wanted to be a friend of Caroline. At the night after the ball, I had drawn a picture of her with a horse. I discovered before that she liked horses and on the right-bottom of the paper I thanked her for her honesty—the feature that I loved most about her. But after tonight’s event, I felt betrayed. Caroline distraught me so Alaric Saltzman could dagger my brother. I felt…. Hurt.

I heard footsteps from behind me.

“I thought you'd have gone by now,” I said as Rebekah walked in to the room. From the corner of my eye I saw she picked one of my sketches on the table and put it back down. “Elijah’s leaving. Kol’s fled. Esther and Finn are gone, too," I added bitterly.

“I hated you when I learned you killed our mother...” stated Rebekah. I turned my head to look at her. “But I realize now that after a thousand years together as a family.” She turned her head to me. “You're the only one who never left me.”

“Well, aren't we a pair?” I said dryly.

“There's something I think you need to see,” she said as she showed me a video from her phone—the one which captured Elena when she was held captive by my sister.

“Come to brag about your skills as a torturer?” I said, taking the phone from her hand.

She ignored my comments, and said to-the-pointly, “Look at the images on the wall behind Elena.” I took a closer look. “The natives told the story of our family history. Look at the images on the far wall.”

“What is it?” I asked confusedly.

“A native worshiping at the white oak tree,” she said, looking at me straight in the eyes. Why does she look so scared?

“And? We burnt that tree to the ground,” I told her, still not getting the point.

“Look at the markings that precede it,” I looked back at the phone. “That's the native calendar.”

Oh, no. I gaped in disbelief. “This can't be right.”

“A white oak tree, 300 years after we fled back to the old world. There must have been a sapling, a new tree to replace the old. That tree could kill us.” I looked back at Rebekah. We had the same thing in mind.

“It's not over, Nik.”

***

*Cassie’s POV*